Search

How do I implement a Private Message/Inbox which is similar to Forum "Private Message"?

Its not that difficult; just create a section, with one field representing the user id of the current user, and another of the sender. Whilst a text area could be used for the actual message.

Then you would add the user-ids either via hidden fields or session data. When posting, and to read - retrieve all messages where recipient is current user.

Have you already tried using the Members extension?

@DavidOliver: But the Members extension does not have the private messages functionality in itself, does it ? Maybe the members ensemble has that (I have not installed that, just asking) ?

@petsagouris most probably he was referring to using the Members Extension as a starting point.

Yes, sorry - I wasn't very descriptive. :-)

If you combine the Members extension with what @gunglien said I guess it will be relatively simple.

I see, thank DavidOliver. However, I'm not able to download Memeber 1.2RC# from the git, there is something wrong with the integration branch.

Try this: https://github.com/symphonycms/members/zipball/integration
(don't forget to rename the unpacked folder to members)

@proby2 how were you planning to use the message box anyway? I thought you had planned to use maybe members extension or another oAuth / openID login system? Doesn't have to be a members extension as you can identify the current logged-in user.

@thanks Nils!

@gunglien, I been experimenting Scala (Java alternative) and whether I should use Lift web framework (comes with "stateful" framework, great for sessions). I'm quite skeptical whether if there any scaling issue should there be high-volume of traffic from emailing alone.

Is the Member extension a stateless or stateful session?

Members extension is based on the Symphony Cookie class it saves a user state etc. Which uses the php sessions in turn, to set cookies etc and then use this with a symphony table to leverage data storage etc. I think its best if you start looking there.

I'm not an expert on session stuff, but should work scaling up from my understanding. I bet some of the big guys use it on large systems already.

Then it would depend how you want your users to login... but I think if you're using Scala and plan to integrate this with symphony you need a way to retrieve the correct session data...