Search

A new extension, "Page HTTP Caching" is now available for download. Comments and feedback can be left here but if you discover any issues, please post it on the issue tracker.

Currently experimental and requiring testing/feedback.

Symphony Extensions entry.

Any idea how this would interact with a CDN?

Any idea how this would interact with a CDN?

I believe that will all depend on how the particular CDN deals with the page headers (only the cache-control header at the moment) in question. An example header set by this extension:

Cache-Control: public, max-age=86400

Which CDN do you have in mind?

I'm not sure whether CDNs tend to retain this header or replace it with their own, but it should be easy enough to find out.

Yea that's what I was wondering, I've never really looked into how CDN's treat htaccess or headers with regards to the cache - was hoping you might know, but not an issue if you don't, I'll have to research this myself.

In particular I was thinking of CloudFlare, as we currently use it to distribute a few of our sites.

Extension development question. Although I save the default settings in the config file, I'm currently storing individual pages' settings in a new database table. Symphony 2.4 looks like it's going to store pages in XML files (yay!), so should I store my extension's page settings in Symphony's config too rather than in the database?

I suppose this would keep all of the extension's settings (defaults and pages) in the same place, which seems like a good thing, but I'm not sure if there are recommended practices for this sort of thing.

If it's a different table, it's abstracted and will continue to work, but users might have some unexpected problems when migrating between sites (as the database content will differ).

Hard to say what the recommended approach will be as yet. Config will work, but as a page will be an XML file we may also look at fencing a block off for extension settings, which would allow pages to be extended by extensions.

In short, hard to recommend anything at this early stage :)

Page HTTP Caching updated to version 1.0.0 on 5th of April 2014

Works with Symphony 2.4.

Page HTTP Caching updated to version 1.0.2 on 1st of October 2014

Works with Symphony 2.5.

Page HTTP Caching updated to version 1.1.0 on 4th of March 2016

Works with Symphony 2.6. (And hopefully 2.x.)