Search

This is to notify that the Asset Compiler extension has now been deprecated. The git repo will remain in place so it doesn't break anyone's references to it, but no new development work will be done on the extension.

EDIT: Removed reference to @iwyg's Assets extension as a replacement option, he recommends against its use (thanks @iwyg)

Personally I've moved over to using Gulp for my entire frontend build system since there are so many different build requirements for the frontend beyond simply concatenation/compilation these days. I have a project Longsip that might be useful to you, and specially made for Symphony users there's a Symphony customised version Symphony-Longsip that's pretty much plug-n-play for v2.5+. Thanks all.

If people are still interested in a PHP based asset compiler for Symphony, I kinda reinvented the wheel and developed my own. Works with Symphony 2.5.x and I'm using it myself, so it's still under active development.

Uses a simple, Grunt-like settings file for defining bundles (concatenating files) and tasks.

If someone wants to try it out, let me know and I'll make it available on GitHub.

there are so many different build requirements for the frontend beyond simply concatenation/compilation these days

That's actually all I ever needed.

Personally I've moved over to using Gulp for my entire frontend build system

After using CodeKit, Grunt, Gulp and shell scripts for the past two years now, I actually found that a PHP based thing that can be invoked from a request to the frontend fits my workflow way better than any node.js task runner. Especially if you're developing in a VM and want to keep your setup simple.

Edit Uses cat for bundles, so doesn't work on Windows. Tools (Autoprefixer, Uglify, etc.) need to be installed separately.

Hi Jens,

I'd be very interested in having a play with this!

I'd be very interested in having a play with this!

Here you go...

Let me know if you have any questions or run into issues.