Search

I'm new to Symphony CMS, and am trying to get a brand new installation up and running on Amazon AWS using the following infrastructure configuration:

• Amazon EC2 Instance for the web server
  • Amazon RDS Instance for the MySQL database
  • Amazon S3 for file storage

I have successfully used this same configuration for a new installation of Expression Engine, and I'm trying to evaluate both Expression Engine and Symphony CMS to decide which platform will best meet our needs for a couple of projects we're working on.

Here's the error that we keep getting during the Symphony installation: "Symphony was unable to establish a valid database connection. You may need to modify host or port settings."

The Hostname is set to the Amazon RDS instance endpoint similar to the following (actually, we're using a shorter CNAME alias that points to this): Hostname: mysql-a.raik6oim4ce7.us-west-2.rds.amazonaws.com Port: 3306

I have checked and double-checked the 'Database', 'Username' and 'Password' settings. I am able to connect to the database with these same settings using Sequel Pro without any problem. However, so far the Symphony CMS installer will just not connect.

At this point I'm stuck without anywhere to go. I'd really like to give Symphony a try having heard great things about it. But so far, I haven't even been able to see it running at all (not even a demo), which makes evaluation impossible.

Any help would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!

Could be a thousand miles from the mark as I've never deployed to AWS, but do you have access to the mysql user configuration? Could be as simple as a missing host declaration? I know that's tripped me up more than once in the past.

Thanks for the suggestion. I just checked on how we have this configured in MySQL, and we do have the host declaration configured correctly. Any other thoughts?

Have you double-checked that you can connect to this database host from the shell of your webserver?

Something that tripped me before is that by default the EC2 units have these ports firewalled (for outgoing traffic, too!) so you have to manually add them to be able to connect.

As michael said, the easiest way to verify your configuration is by checking if you can connect on the shell.

Thanks everyone. The problem was that we forgot to set the security group within the Amazon RDS database instance to allow access to the database from the EC2 instance. Set that and success!