Search

Odd problem this morning.

We're suddenly unable to login to our Symphony site (i.e. log in to the backend).

Nothing has changed in the past couple of months, but all of a sudden a correct login simply results in the login prompt being displayed (essentially a page refresh) - an incorrect login produces the relevant error.

As I say, no changes have been made, I've checked the database and the users exist, everything, as far as I'm aware, is as it should be.

Any thoughts? Naturally a bit of a pain, as currently there's no way to manage the site.

Nathan

Apache and PHP logs?

Have you tried deleting all cookies for the domain in your browser? I once had this problem caused by a "broken" cookie.

Hi guys,

Will try the cookie thing and delve into the PHP logs asap - unfortunately I posted this message just before being swamped by other things!

Cheers and will report back shortly

Update:

Cleared cookies and tried different browsers: No luck unfortunately - same issue.

PHP logs: Nothing relating to this issue, so an error isn't being thrown out (At least at Apache level).

What a weird issue…

If anyone fancies a poke at the front-end I can let them know where it is - if that's any use - not sure if there might be something in the header response or something that gives a clue?

[deleted]

What are the chances, turns out it's the exact same issue as another thread in the forum that's active at the moment: http://getsymphony.com/discuss/thread/62821/2/

Managed to fix it by increasing the password character length to 150 in the db.

Can't for the life of me imagine why it took a good 3 months to notice - some weird cache/cookie thing maybe?

Could well be that was just when your sessions were due to time out.

That's probably it!

I actually think I might have worked out what the issue was, not being an expert in MySQL I'm not 100% sure: We pulled the site into a local environment to update it, did the work, made some other changes then replaced the live site with the dev site and dumped/replaced the DB - I have a feeling that we only did this for the data, and not the authors (as they didn't change). In fact that was probably definitely it.

That sounds like it, as sessions would definitely time out earlier than 3 months.

Glad you got it sorted.