Search

Hey, I just installed a fresh version of Symphony via git at the host www.space2u.com in Sweden. So far so good.

But I am unable to save "Prefrences" under "System". The weird thing is that I get the green bar on top of the window that says "Preferences saved.", but at the same time all the input fields turn blank.

For example I cloned "Frontend Localisation" + "Filemanager" and their settings won't save...

But I am able to edit and save entries/articles...

Help needed! ;) Cheers

Most likely it is file permissions... preferences are saved in the manifest folder in a file config.php if this is not editable preferences won't save. Symphony should in most cases throw an error if its unable to save.

Yes, forgot to mention that config.php is set to 777. This is whats weird... I'll contact the hosting company.

I examined the config.php a bit closer, it's missing settings for alla extensions... Filemanager has this paragraph in my config.php on my local machine.

` ###### FILEMANAGER ###### 'filemanager' => array( 'mimetypes' => 'application/pdf image/jpeg image/png text/*', 'ignore' => 'XlwuLio=', ), ########

` Seems that all extension are missing in config.php on the hosted site.

Any ideas?

try push the config manually if you can. see if that resolves the issue temporarily.

If the respective sections are removed afterwards that would be really strange.. because symphony would be removing these sections

Hmm, I think I need explain myself a bit better ;)

When I mention my local machine, that is my "test installation" (which I do not want to duplicate). Today I did a "fresh install" on a hosted server today.

It's just that the config.php on my "fresh install" does not contain any trace of the extensions I have installed. I guess that could be the reason for why nothing gets saved to my fresh config.php - since there is nothing which relates to the extensions in the config.php? (The extensions are active)

Just tried to uninstall all extensions, then reinstall. Nothing happens with config.php, and no errors.

But how could this have happened?

Cheers!

Actually, some extensions like JIT and Maintanance mode won't install again... Something sure is messed up, must be related to the server I guess?

it is possible to check the modification date of the config.php file. It seems like symphony thinks its writing to the file yet no errors come up. Usually you have a warning at the top if there are file permissions. Otherwise the server is overriding the config.

What we do, if it helps, is this. We set up all on our local test machines. & we push upwards the db & config once set up. This enables us to have the same test environment symphony install + extensions as there is on production.

Thanks, that sounds great.

But what happens to DB access and such when you push from local to remote? I mean on my local install I will have one DB user, and on the remote install I will have another DB user. Isn't all that data stored in the DB, and once pushed from local to remote it will cause errors? This sounds like it's a bit out of my league ;)

(The support at hosting company says that the current permissions are ok...)

DB user settings are stored in manifest/config.php, so you can just edit this file when pushing to production (it is protected from public view by rewrite rules in the .htaccess in case that rings alarmbells).

I think there are a few extensions and discussions out there on methods for having separate environment config files too, but I don't have a link to hand...

@anderskavcic just edit your DB settings in the config.php manually and you should be fine.

Great, I'll try it out. Thanks your for your assistance so far! Time to learn more about git :)

Cheers!

One more question, I guess I have to edit the .htaccess aswell? My guess is that I should edit the "RewriteBase" ? Anything else I need to change?

Thx /A

.htaccess could be a possibility.. by default symphony creates that so if you don't have it you'll have to. The rewrite base is not a necessity it depends on your structure.

Ok.