Search

So, with the recent rackspace migration, it would appear that the installation of Symphony is still a little tricky.... new installs of the CMS are still being packaged with empty extension files which hinder the development process.

It isn't ideal, but I have chucked a repo on github with all the core extensions to install with 2.3.2. You can find the repo here.

If anybody wants to make it better, feel free! :) and apologies if this is a duplicate.

@ollybradshaw: I'm afraid I never experience this issue. Have you looked into the concept of Submodules? Whenever I start a new project with Symphony, I get the code from Github and do a submodule init / update. All core extensions are automatically fetched from their repositories and available for me to start developing my application.

I have not no, can you point my thick backside towards this interesting and highly useful piece of information? :)

Hi Olly,

It's covered in the installation tutorial, toward the bottom: http://www.getsymphony.com/learn/tutorials/view/install-symphony/3/#pagehead

I've been meaning to get myself used to git - our developer uses it properly, I just use Github as a web interface/bug reporting tool atm!

Using Git and submodules for extensions is great once you get the hang of it. Takes away the need for all that manual downloading, moving and copying, and also places which versions of additional extensions you add as submodules under efficient version control.

Will take a good look guys, thanks for the heads up :) I am finding myself using git more and more

Once you break the back of understanding it, you will wonder why you never did. I even use it to track changes in my proposal docs and the like.

Using a GUI will help you, but I would always advise learning the command line first.

mmm... I find that SourceTree (or any other git GUI's for that matter) does help me get better understanding of some of the advanced features of Git

I do like command line a lot, so will probably delve into this first, although i do have SourceTree available :)

Just successfully installed Symphony over SSH with git clone and used submodule update to bring in all the things I needed. Not only was it really simple, but it was about a million-billion times faster than FTP. Will not look back.

That was one of the things that sold me on Git. So much faster than FTP. :D