Search

Hi everyone,

I am exploring the power of symphony and am surprised at every turn. This is a great platform and really eager to start implementing it's magic. I am in the process of looking to see how to best approach a site that I would like to create that is very cron task heavy. After researching the discussions, it was apparent that since I will have a few heavily modified datasources ( in my case , every hour ) dynamic datasource was the way to go.

Ok that part was simple enough, the harder part is that in my cron job; I will be pulling in a few outbound sources ( various formats ) using PHP to join and merge them into a datasource for this CMS to be able to read from. The catch is that in this merger there are parts that the users will want to see in the admin interface to add more information on. This has lead me to the XML importer extension to handle these types of integrations.

That said what is not very clear to me is how to make all of this tick seamlessly with a cron task. Here are my questions:

• Can XML Importer be triggered to import outside of the CMS, like with a cron task?
  • Can we bind events to XML Importer to trigger emails to alert users that there is new content that was added for them to review?
  • My merged datasource can be upwards to 2 - 3mb of XML is there a performance issue with hitting dynamic datasources that are that heavy?

Thoughts anyone?

I'm quite happy with the Shell running serveral task in background.

Wheter it is possible to run email alerts after, must be.

the debug mode don't work at my site, when I'm using big dynamic datasources. It run in a timeout or so. I don't realised other performance issues on datasources round about 1.5mb. just getting data on the fly don't work so good, so I'm using the cache first.

How does Shell extension work?

I want to do some kind of cron tasks as well but have no idea how to do it. Just some basic things such as changing the status of entries after a date is passed or sending email alerts based on entry status.

the easiest way I found is to copy such scripts to EXTENSIONS . "/shell/bin" and run them that way. may I can help you @concrete problems, I am not sure.