Search

Basically what the title says. I am currently doing things like this:

Section 1 ------ Datasource 1 \
Section 2 ------ Datasource 2  ---------- Page (type: XML) -------- Dynamic XML datasource
Section 3 ------ Datasource 3 /

and then:

Dynamic XML datasource 1 \
Dynamic XML datasource 2   ---------- Content page(s) or another XML page for further processing
Dynamic XML datasource 3 /

I am curious to know if Datasource Chaining could be used to do something similar with less overhead.

Anyone have an example of how they benefitted from this concept?

When thre is no relation between your datasources, there is no possibility to chain something.

but may have a look at artcle images in the default woprkspace:

https://github.com/symphonycms/workspace/blob/master/data-sources/data.article_images.php

or comments:

https://github.com/symphonycms/workspace/blob/master/data-sources/data.comments.php

@ctruet, your example is sadly a little too abstract to understand what you're wanting to achieve. If you can write down what you want as a result for us, we can help.

You're right, it is very vague. I'm not so much asking for you guys to help solve a problem, just wondering what situations might call for chaining multiple datasources together -- for some reason I am having difficulty understanding the benefit / need of such a function.

@ctruett

Aha ! :)

Datasource B is chained to Datasource A if Datasource B needs output parameters returned by Datasource A. These needs include but are not restricted to: filtering, pagination, sorting.

A very good example is this thread. That guy needed to set various filters from values generated by previous datasources.