Search

Hi,

My host Steadfast.net requires me to have the following in my .htaccess to use PHP5

AddType application/x-httpd-fastphp .php Action application/x-httpd-fastphp /php-fastcgi/php-cgi

Without it the server runs .php files under PHP4, which means Symphony 2 Beta complains it needs PHP5.

So now with the .htaccess running the install.php in PHP5, after filling in all fields, it says I need to delete the .htaccess for it to go foward with the installation process. If I delete it, it complains that I need PHP5 and if I don't delete it, it won't go foward with the installation.

How do I fix this catch 22 situation?

Why don't you install Symphony in a sub-folder, keeping your necessary .htaccess file in the root of your webspace? Once installation is completed, you may

1. simply change where your domain points to on the server or
  2. move symphony to the root, combining the two .htaccess files.

(You will have to edit DOCROOT and/or DOMAIN in the config file.)

I got around this by putting the .htaccess file one level up in the directory tree. So in a public/html directory setup, I moved it into public/ and everything worked out fine.

Installing in a folder & then moving it worked perfectly!

I also tried putting .htaccess in the folder one level up but that didn't work for whatever reason.

Thanks both of you for your suggestions!

I am having the same problem and can't understand why the web hosts do not just fix the darned conflict. After all we PAY for the stuff.

I hate having to go around searching for a solution to a known issue.

customer service stinks at my web host: mediatemple; and others

D.

thanks everyone, I'll waste more time trying to get this to work after paying for the privilege of wasting my time. It isn't like the web hosts are not aware of the issue. I am so sick and tired of web hosts who play this game of restricting access to late versions of PHP.

(You will have to edit DOCROOT and/or DOMAIN in the config file.)

and what else?

too much of a headache for so little gain.

so long symphony 2

D.

surprise!

After all the bs, I went and filled out the install.php fields ahead of time (just in case).

Then I went back to my control panel (mediatemple) and reset for PHP 5, which of course reset the .htaccess file.

In mediatemple's structure the web site folders/files sit in a folder "html"

Using my external ftp program I simply moved the newest reset of the .htaccess file one up --- out of the html folder --- into the folder with my domain name. and without touching anything else I sent my install.php page by hitting the 'Install Symphony' button and...BINGO!

mediatemple structure:

System path: /home/68760/domains/mydomainname.com Website path: /home/68760/domains/mydomainname.com/html

now I have a question: will keeping the old .htaccess file laying around harm my site and should I just delete it?

I thought I'd ask before deleting it.

update: I deleted the old .htaccess file and that was moved up and then had to go back and reset for PHP 5.

Fine, but now access to the admin are is open.

edit: The browser. I forgot to check the browser. Now why does the admin area stay open to me? I cannot see a 'log out' button.

edit: 'log out' button is in the bottom right hand corner.

Now everything is working fine and I am amazed at how well this version addresses issues of understandability of the structure and the purposes of the way in which Symphony works.

thank you to the Symphony/Overture21 team. D.