Search

I really appreciate the built-in validation rules for text inputs. There are several other validation rules that I would like to use repetitively, but am inexperienced in php. What is the process for adding more rules? The attached screenshot shows what I am referring to, as well as an example of a rule I would like to reuse often. Thanks in advance for any help.

Attachments

You may be interested in symphony/lib/toolkit/util.validators.php. Copy one of the existing assignments within $validators and edit it for your own purposes--take heed of course of the warning:

## Be aware that this file may be updated, losing any changes you have made. Always
## make backups. If you would like a rule offically included in a distribution
## of Symphony, please contact the development team (team@symphony21.com)

Thanks for the tip. Works perfect.

Am I right in assuming that the following:

/.(?:doc|pdf|rtf|txt)$/i

Can be expanded to include other document types? such as Excel?

/.(?:doc|pdf|rtf|txt|xls)$/i

Sure, You can simply remove or add extensions in this expression.

Yes indeed. Note that the procedure for adding new validation rules has changed slightly — instructions are inside the util.validators.php file referenced above. In short, create a file of the same name and put it inside your /manifest directory, and you can define your own validation regular expressions that won’t be overwritten when you upgrade your Symphony core.

@Nick: That’s cool, I did not know that.

(Note: The file in your manifest directory must not have the same name, but be called validators.php)

Still if you need a rule just once, you may simply edit the validation string for your field manually.

I have an audio/video encoding extension we use internally (it won’t be released any time soon as it doesn’t work out of the box and requires many server components to be installed), but I always have to add a validators.php file:

// Media Encoder
$upload['video'] = '/.(?:aiff|3gp|avi|mp4|mpeg4|mpeg|mov|m4v|flv)$/i';
$upload['audio'] = '/.(?:wav|mp3|mp4|aif|aiff|ogg|flac|aac|m4a)$/i';

It would be nice if Extensions could also provide these regular expressions themselves.