Search

By now it is only possible to associate one text-formatter with a field. Is there anything to be said against having the ability to specify multiple text-formatters per field?

I know it doesn't make sense to have Markdown and Textile applied to the same field but it may be helpful to have other additional text-formatters for some details: one (e. g. Markdown) could do the main part of the job and the other add special typographical changes for example.

Just as an idea.

Hmmm... I have a teensy bit of experience with this outside Symphony. I have been using a flatfile CMS for a specific task in my workplace. Its default filter is BBCode (which I dislike), but there is a Markdown plugin. It seems entries get both filters. This system has one advantage: in my almost-exclusively Markdown entry, I can bung in a BBCode "[more]" (probably CMS specific?), and I get the teaser/full-content separation for posts. So far, I have not noticed any conflicts. Works well.

FWIW! David.

I know Symphony only has the ability to have one and I doubt it'll change. You have a couple of options, though.

1. If you look at the Markdown plug-in, you'll see that it has options for Smarty Pants. In the plug-in, the author is combining formatters. You have to do it in your own custom plug-in. Typogrify is another example of mixing formatters in one plug-in.

2. You could add any extra formatting functionality in the XSLT. An example would be Bauhouse's nifty System Navigation Ensemble. He has a utility called html-manipulation.xsl that transforms Markdown code. (I think that's what it does. Is there a place where his utilities are explained?)

UPDATE: I found an explanation of the html-manipulation.xsl