Search

A new Extension, “Admin CSS Override” is now available for download. Comments and feedback can be left here but if you discover any issues, please post it on the issue tracker.

I was tired of loosing my admin CSS hacks when updating the Symphony core. So I created the Admin CSS Override extension (which, BTW, is the simplest extension ever)!

Comments are welcome!

Sounds good! going to give it a spin this afternoon.

Cool, nice one. I’m secretly working on a complete reskin extension, and a JavaScript API to manipulate the Symphony page (moving the navigation around, adding client side validation and field meta data etc.). Although not so secretly now. But this is a handy alternative for those who don’t want to go the whole way!

Did I mention that it is the simplest extension ever? :-)

@ nick I believe I once seen a really sexy screenshot of a redesigned backend, it was by the same guy who also has build is own xslt cms for versioning? I would like to see some images of efforts of even cooler (graphically) backends…

Admin CSS Override updated to version 1.1 on 11th of February 2011

Admin CSS Override updated to version 1.1.1 on 11th of February 2011

Admin CSS Override updated to version 1.2 on 11th of February 2011

O like to make a simple request, it could be possible to have many diferent overwrite css, and a field to enable you color in the backend.

Is it too hard to include that in your extension?

[...] and a field to enable you color in the backend.

When you only need to change the colour of the header and the footer you can try the Rainbow Headline extension.

could be possible to have many diferent overwrite css, and a field to enable you color in the backend

For what purpose?

I have a pretty basic question:

I have a 'Project Template' git project, which I use for setting up new sites. This has a heap of extensions pre-installed, a few common sections pre-created etc. All the extensions are set up as submodules. Unfortunately, I can't really have the Admin CSS override set up as a git submodule, as I also want some css files located in the extension folder to be tracked as part of the project template extension. What's the best way of working around this? From what I understand I have two options:

1. Don't track Admin CSS Override as a submodule. Just add the files in the extensions/admin-css-override folder to my Project Template repo. Negatives: can't easily update extension in future.
  2. 'Fork' the Admin CSS Override extension and track it that way. Not sure if this is the best way to go about it though... Future updates would also be just as hard as option 1.

btw, a colleague of mine did a few minor tweaks using this extension. These are the results:

alt text

Attachments:
Screen shot 2011-07-17 at 5.40.23 PM.png and Screen shot 2011-07-17 at 5.38.45 PM.png

No idea if this will work, but what if you put a .gitignore inside the assets folder of Admin CSS Override so that the submodule won't track it. Does this then allow the main repo to track the file? Or does the .gitignore just blanket ban the file for all .git repos.

I would assume it just tells git to ignore everything, but I'll give it a shot. Nice idea.

Edit: Weird. It seems to totally ignore the .gitignore file when placed inside the submodule, even when committing to the submodule repo.

I see the problem. It might have been better for this extension to put CSS files in the workspace folder (in a subfolder, e.g. "admin-css"). I was rather unexperienced at the time when I built it.

But on the other hand I doubt that changing the extension is worth the energy — being as simple as it is now it is very unlikely to change. (Look at the extension driver: The essence is one line of code.) So either of the proposed solutions shouldn't cause real problems in the future.

BTW: It's always nice to see that people really do great things with this super-simple extension! :-)

The extension is great michael-e; my designer friend was thrilled when he found out about it ;)

I've just added the folder as a regular folder rather than a submodule, which is working fine, and I'm not to worried about future updates. It's probably better that way anyway, because then you can't accidentally overwrite your customised css file.

I am glad that you like it!

Admin CSS Override updated to version 1.3 on 18th of December 2011