Search

Hey Guys -

First, disclaimer: This isn’t symphony related other than my site is hosted on Symphony 1.7. However, I need some advice, and I would really appreciate it if you can give a little.

Here’s the situation

About two years ago, I got scammed by an online retailer, and wrote it up on my site. (I’m not linking or mentioning the name, but I’m sure you can find it by going to the life category on my blog.) A little awhile ago, a rep of the company contacted me, and offered me a chunk of money to take the post down. I don’t really want to take it down, but the rep claims that they’ve changed their practices drastically, and it’s pretty harmful to their business.

What would you do in this situation?

I was going to reply on your entry’s comments, but maybe you don’t want this discussion there. (maybe the topic of Off-Topic should be addressed on this forum, since I think it serves a purpose for the community). Anyway, I’d say that it would be better all around (with the exception of your beer fund) if they just gave you evidence of these improved practices, then you could pre- or append your original post with that new information. Offering you money really seems shady to me; I don’t think you should have to (or be able to) pay off your previous mistakes.

Yeah, I agree. Essentially they’re asking you to take them at their word, and you’ve got no reason to do so. They’d be better served writing up a detailed description of how they’ve changed their practices and posting it in your comments (and asking you to post an addendum to the original entry).

Offering money is shady. They should have just followed up on your experience. For instance:

Hi Dave, I found a review of the company I work for on your website and it wasn’t positive. I want to apologize for your poor experience and know that we have recently taken steps to provide better customer service. I would like to learn more about your specific experience so that we can better assist future customers. And if you’re issue was never resolved, I’d like to take care of that now.

I say leave it and make sure that it’s dated so that if in fact they have changed their practices more recent positive reviews prevail.

Sounds like you’re fortunate to have been able to get you’re money back. If there really are that many people waiting to get their money back and they’re offering money to you to silence the dissent, then it doesn’t sound like they’ve changed at all. If changes have been made, I would expect that previously unhappy customers would be replying to this same article to say that they received the products they ordered or that they received a full refund.

This article is acting like a sort of online credit report and brand equity valuation and should not be taken down. Plus, it comes with some valuable advice about how to deal with online fraud.

I agree with the previous advice. If you’re seriously considering taking the money I would review their service again and find out for yourself whether or not it’s actually changed. If it looks like it has then take the money and remove the post.

It does sound a bit dodgy to offer money but sometimes people are so upset with a service that’s the only way to make them change their mind, even if the service has gotten better. I would be wary but not dismissive.

However, if you look it over and it turns out their service hasn’t improved I’d add a follow-up to your article where you mention they tried to buy your silence.

However, if you look it over and it turns out their service hasn’t improved I’d add a follow-up to your article where you mention they tried to buy your silence.

I would regardless.

Thanks everyone. Getting more opinions has been very helpful. I’ll suggest they comment on the article and I’ll direct readers to the comment.

That sounds very fair minded.

A little quick update: I responded with almost verbatim what was said above. Now they’re threatening slander. (Actually libel)

Joy…

To make good on the threat, wouldn’t they have to first prove that the information was not true? It’s probably going to be very difficult for them to dispute the many claims of those who have posted on your site. I wouldn’t think they would have a case.

IANAL but I’d say that having tried to buy you off probably won’t help the claim either.

I sympathize with your predicament davethegr8 but the topic of this thread is a little too far from that which is Symphony related. I think here is not the best place to be discussing such matters, so I am going to close the thread.