Search

Can someone explain to me exactly what Ensembles are and how they work?

Cheers,

Ensembles bundle an entire Symphony project, including its database and workspace files, into an installable package. They can be an easy way to backup or move your site, although I don’t think they’re the recommended way to do either of those things.

In the future, this site will have an Ensembles area where you can download purpose-built Symphony bundles. This forum, in fact, will soon be released as an ensemble.

Great, thank you. So like the fluid960 ensemble by Stephen Bau, is virtually a “pre-packaged” symphony installation. If I wanted to install it as a starting point to work from, i would simply rename it as my workspace?

Ensembles aren’t added into a preexisting Symphony install. They are themselves a Symphony install. So you’d simply install the ensemble itself. Symphony’s default package is, in fact, an ensemble.

I am starting to understand, been reading this entire time. I still don’t quite get it so far. Example, I am looking at Stephen Bau Ensemble for fluid960. It does not contain an extensions directory, a symphony directory, or a workspace directory. It basically just looks like a website with regular xhtml markup.

The Git repo seems to have all those things. Is that where you’re looking?

your right, thank you I was downloading from his link on the forums, now it makes much more sense.