Search

I have a freshly installed Symphony rev5 on a MacBook with Leopard. Everything works fine, but when I add an Image to a article, I don't see the picture but a question mark icon. The picture is uploaded, if I click on the question mark the image gets displayed.

This was never a problem on my old ThinkPad, so I guess it's got something to do with the Mac...

booker

Is there anything in your apache/php logs? Have you tried using MAMP instead of the default Leopard PHP & Apache setup?

I can vouch for MAMP. I downloaded, installed it, created a database, ran the Symphony install and had everything up and running in minutes.

Yes, I know, there are a lot of fans of MAMP out there... Perhaps I'll try it someday, but for now I think I stick with what comes with leopard and macports.

@Alistair:

This is the apache log:

[Mon Jun 09 08:31:58 2008] [warn] Init: Session Cache is not configured [hint: SSLSessionCache]
httpd: Could not reliably determine the server's fully qualified domain name, using ::1 for ServerName
[Mon Jun 09 08:31:59 2008] [notice] Digest: generating secret for digest authentication ...
[Mon Jun 09 08:31:59 2008] [notice] Digest: done
[Mon Jun 09 08:31:59 2008] [notice] Apache/2.2.8 (Unix) mod_ssl/2.2.8 OpenSSL/0.9.7l DAV/2 PHP/5.2.5 configured -- resuming normal operations

And I configured php to log the errors with

log_errors = On 
error_log = /path/to/php_errors.log

touch /path/to/php_errors.log 
chmod 777 /path/to/php_errors.log

After restarting Apache and browsing the entry with the image, there are no errors logged.

Installed MAMP, installed Symphony, same result:

The pictures are uploaded, but are not getting displayed. I still can see only the icon with the question mark. Pictures that are hardcoded into get-images.xslt are getting displayed, so I guess it could be some php processing error. But no errors in the php error log...

booker

Installed Symphony again from scratch within MAMP, now it works. Still no clue what I might broke in the other installations.

How very strange. Glad you got it working though.

Okay, I think I've got it. After the reinstallation, I recognized that only some pictures were getting displayed, others not. It seemed arbitrary, and like it had nothing to do with filesize. At least I found out that it depends on the case of the file extension: Pictures with the extension in uppercase (.JPG) were not displayed. Renaming them to .jpg solved the problem.

Pictures with the extension in uppercase (.JPG) were not displayed. Renaming them to .jpg solved the problem.

Good catch! I forgot I had this same problem.

That's it? Well, this may easily be solved!

In your .htaccess file you will find "Image Rules". If you add "NC" to each rule, .JPG extensions will work as well. You will end up with s.th. like this:

### IMAGE RULES 
RewriteRule ^image\/3\/([0-9]+)\/([0-9]+)\/([1-9])\/([a-fA-f0-9]{3,6})(\/(0|1))?\/(.+)\.(jpg|gif|jpeg|png|bmp)$ /symphony/image.php?param=3:$1:$2:$3:$4:$6:$7.$8 [NC,L]
RewriteRule ^image\/2\/([0-9]+)\/([0-9]+)\/([1-9])(\/(0|1))?\/(.+)\.(jpg|gif|jpeg|png|bmp)$ /symphony/image.php?param=2:$1:$2:$3:0:$5:$6.$7 [NC,L]
RewriteRule ^image\/1\/([0-9]+)\/([0-9]+)(\/(0|1))?\/(.+)\.(jpg|gif|jpeg|png|bmp)$ /symphony/image.php?param=1:$1:$2:0:0:$4:$5.$6 [NC,L]
RewriteRule ^image(\/(0|1))?\/(.+)\.(jpg|gif|jpeg|png|bmp)$ /symphony/image.php?param=0:0:0:0:0:$2:$3.$4 [NC,L]

Thanks for the tip. Works like a charm on my local machine, but doesn't on the server. Because I'm new to the Mac platform and don't know how to show dotfiles in the finder, I renamed the local (working) copy of .htaccess to htaccess, put it on the server and renamed it to .htacess.

Sice then I can't access any other page than the homepage. Any idea how to fix this? I undid the changes, but still the pages won't display. Error Message from Firefox says something like "Redirecting Error. The retrieved Website redirects the query in a way it can never terminate".

booker

My mistake! Of course it cannot work when I take my local .htacess and put it on the server... Corrected it, works fine!

Thanks, booker