Search

I've got a section with a input field for entry titles. When changing the value of this field the title handle in the XML is not updated? Is this behaviour intended?

Did you try to re-save the entries of that section?

I had the problem that the XML was not updated when adding an input field to a section. Re-saving of the entries solved it.

Yes, I have been resaving the entry. Same behaviour as before.

I've got a section with a input field for entry titles. When changing the value of this field the title handle in the XML is not updated? Is this behaviour intended?

You need to open up the appropriate data source, select the new field under included elements and resave the data source.

The problem solved itself. I'm not sure why but it's working now. Maybe it was a cache problem (although it occurred in different browsers)

You need to open up the appropriate data source, select the new field under included elements and resave the data source.

I did not change anything on the section side - no new, renamed or deleted fields. So it cannot be connected to data sources in my opinion.

But as I wrote above it's working now. Thanks for your help!

I did not change anything on the section side - no new, renamed or deleted fields. So it cannot be connected to data sources in my opinion.

I misinterpreted your post thinking you were editing a sections field name. Glad it's working! Maybe it's a browser caching thing.

Ah! I found the problem!

I was misled by the length of the handle: There seems to be a limit of characters for handles and I added text to my entry's title exactly at that position where the text got cut off. Due to this I could not see a change in the handle as the first part of the title was exactly the same as before.

i think there's a ~50 character count limit to handles.

The reason handles are limited is due to an apparent maximum URI length of 255 chars. I don't know where this limit comes from, it's not mentioned in the RFC, and afaict browsers today don't have practical limits that low (IE being the bottleneck at 2083 chars). I can't think of any theoretical reason for this limit besides compatibility issues with DB storage, but I think that's a stupid reason to impose a handle length limit.

Therefore, I think we should drop this limit for the next update. Can anyone think of a reason against this change?

Yes, people using the 1996 version of lynx might not be able to browse our sites!!!

(Good idea, btw)