Search

Since this is my first post in any Symphony forum, I'll start with a quick "great software" line.... and thank you for showing me what XSLT is really about (I read about it a few years ago but never really understood it's power).

Now on with my questions.

I saw a post on overture21.com of someone sharing a way to filter content by author in datasources [http://symphony21.com/forum/discussions/884/1/], but Symphony 2 is different so that method doesn't work anymore. Is this planned for a future release? or do I need to add a custom datasource? So far what I managed to do is add a custom author field and make pages with an author parameter, something like " archive/author/year ", but having an actual author name ( " archive/john-doe/2008/ " ) would be better than an author ID ( " archive/2/2008 " )...

On another matter, I find it weird that the admin interface doesn't filter content itself... allowing anyone to view, edit and delete content created by other persons. I understand that admins could do that, but not other authors. Is there any way to restrict this? do I need to start learning to program extensions? if so... how different is it compared to the campfire API you describe on overture21's wiki.

Thank you, Ixai Lanzagorta Ochoa

but having an actual author name ( " archive/john-doe/2008/ " ) would be better than an author ID ( " archive/2/2008 " )

Hmm, I think this is an oversight on our part. We'll add the ability to use full name by RC1, but in the meantime it's possible to use the username instead, like so:

1. Create a new data source named "Author Pre-Filter" with its source Authors.
  2. Add an ID filter with the value {$username} (where $username is the URL param on your page).
  3. Set the "Parameter Output" to use Author ID.
  4. In your archive data source, change the author filter to {$ds-author-pre-filter}.

That setup should let you use archive/my-username/2008 URIs. The Author Pre-Filter DS can be used with any other DS that you want to filter by username.

I find it weird that the admin interface doesn't filter content itself... allowing anyone to view, edit and delete content created by other persons.

This is a temporary regression we've made so that we could spend more time on other areas of Symphony. I've just posted some details about our plans for this for 2.0.

Thank you, I'll give it a try. Although seeing some of the changes that you are doing for the next release, I'm starting to think that any development I do now won't be compatible with the final release... do you have an approximate date for a release? I see that you still have a beta 6 planned (first sticky on forum) and from this post you say there will be a RC1... it's gonna take a while right? :P

Beta 6 == RC 1 (apologies for the confusion)

Yeah, it's still a short while away. We've said this summer/winter (depending on your hemisphere) for the RC1 release, but we're really expecting it to be much sooner, and will probably have the 2.0-final release done by then. Most of the concepts from S2b5 won't change much, so it might be useful to get acquainted with that version (and help us find bugs) since it's significantly different from 1.7, but it's best to stick to 1.7 or wait until 2.0-final for crucial development.

Beta 6 == RC 1 (apologies for the confusion).

=O

it's best to stick to 1.7 or wait until 2.0-final for crucial development.

apparently the project I was going to start working on is being re-thought so I have some time to get to know S2... maybe set up something personal.

Thank you anyway.

(well... apparently bbcode doesn't work here... what is the text formatter? =P)

Markdown.

Markdown.

Thanks