Search

A new XSLT utility, “Headline Hierarchy” is now available for download. Comments and feedback can be left here but if you discover any issues, please post it on the issue tracker.

Ah, great utility!

I am not sure but are you certain about the match="body//@*"? Does one have to hardcode their Xpath in your utility in order to use it?

Thanks, phoque. That’s a copy and paste mistake.

Alright :-)

Hm, maybe a special mode could help the user to know when he’s actually calling the ninjas to work. What do you think?

I thought about that but wanted to keep things similar to Allen’s tutorial. I often use a mode for the Ninja technique called typographic as I like to change more things than just headlines. It would also be possible to set the hierarchy via with-param.

Headline Hierarchy updated to version 1.1 on 7th of May 2010

This wasn't handling ID attributes on my headings. I noticed that ''mode="ninja"'' isn't applied to the template call for attributes (on line 47 or thereabouts) and that adding this fixes the problem for me.

<!-- Change hierarchy -->
<xsl:element name="h{substring-after(name(), 'h') + $level}">
<xsl:apply-templates select="* | @* | text()" mode="ninja" />
</xsl:element>

Heisann,

if have a usage-issue with this, guess it’s a simple mistake …

I have a formatted text, when I reference it like this, the headline-hierarchy is not applied:

<xsl:apply-templates select="text/*" mode="ninja" />

If I use the following, it is applied, but remains enveloped by the <text mode="formatted"> xml element:

<xsl:apply-templates select="text" mode="ninja" />

What's inside your text node?

The formatted text is simply a set of paragraphs and headlines:

<p>…</p>
<h2>…</h2>
<p>…</p>
<p>…</p>

I guess this is a plain selector problem, but how can i tackle it? :(

This might be overkill, but here's how I apply the utility to a node called <content>. In the main data template, I call:

<xsl:apply-templates select=".//content" mode="formatted"/>

And that calls this template:

<xsl:template match="//content" mode="formatted">
<xsl:apply-templates select="*" mode="ninja">
    <xsl:with-param name="level" select="1"/>
</xsl:apply-templates>
</xsl:template>

@tachyondecay brill! this works like a charm, thanks a 1000!

@nils have you tried to use this with markdown extra text fields? If I have a headline with a class attribute, the latter is included in the header itself.

# Erfolgsgeheimnis {.einklapp}

becomes

<h4>einklappErfolgsgeheimnis</h4>

but should be

<h4 class="einklapp">Erfolgsgeheimnis</h4>

Looks like headline-hierarchy is not properly reapplying attributes, even though it looks like it should. Any idea how to fix this?

(the same happens if I use an inline-html <h4 class="einklapp"> inside markdown)

The template mode is missing for the attributes, that's why it doesn't work. Checkout the updated template in our kit: https://github.com/hananils/kit/blob/master/ninja.xsl#L87

Puh! What a relief!

Thanks Nils!