Search

I’m definitely new to Symphony and wondering how far I can customize it to manage page data. Traditionally I’d use something MySQL driven to access a table, for example, to edit press releases or something else.

What I used to do with an ancient CMS we had was create a MySQL table called “press_releases” or something to that effect with the various fields. The old CMS would then create the form structure for the client to interact with on the fly. Varchar fields would be an input tag, enum would be a pulldown or radio button set, “text” fieldtype would be a textarea HTML box, etc.

I’m wondering how this might work with Symphony. I may need to create something custom fed into a jQuery code dynamically so if it’s all handled with WYSIWYG fields, then this may not be the right thing for the project I’m facing right now.

Thanks. I’m sure once I know it’s limits this will be an awesome CMS for our needs going forward!

we had was create a MySQL table called “press_releases” or something to that effect with the various fields

This is what Symphony is perfect for — modelling custom content. While the default install comes as a blog, this is just an example.

You can create yourself a section “Press Releases” and add as many fields as you like: text input, textarea, drop down, checkbox and so on. Symphony “fields” are much more than varchar and enum — while they use these at the database level, they are described more visually. You choose a field type based more on how it is represented in the UI than how it is stored in the database.

Say Hello to the World guides you through the basics.

@nickdunn - This is perfect! I’ll be reviewing the getting started guide today. Thanks a bunch!