Search

A new extension, “QuickDS” is now available for download. Comments and feedback can be left here but if you discover any issues, please post it on the issue tracker.

Please see QuickEvent for this extension’s almost identical twin.

Great idea!!!

BTW: It seems to run on 2.0.7 as well, except for a JavaScript issue when opening the edit page — collapsing requires to save the page. [EDIT]: And the ‘Go to QuickDS’ button is missing…

Maybe you can add something to the README: By design this extension is incompatible with the Global Resource Loader extension. Datasources which are attached to pages using the Global Resource Loader will not be displayed as selected in QuickDS.

All of the above applies to QuickEvent as well. :-)

Thanks!!!

Hi Michael,

I’ve tested on a clean install of 2.0.7 and you’re right, it does work.

In fact as long as the ‘string is undefined’ issue that is inherent in 2.0.7 is fixed, the extension works exactly as intended. If the issue is not fixed, then you just don’t see any of the UI enhancement that the JavaScript is supposed to perform (but the extension will still work).

I wouldn’t really say that these extensions are ‘incompatible’ with the ‘Global Resource Loader’ (since they should all work fine together), the QuickDS/QuickEvent extensions simply don’t show any items that you might have added with the ‘Global Resource Loader’ (just as a normal page in Symphony wouldn’t display those events/datasources as being selected).

In fact as long as the ‘string is undefined’ issue that is inherent in 2.0.7 is fixed, the extension works exactly as intended.

Your are right, it is this issue. Stupid me — I should have used my patched Symphony 2.0.7 version for testing. :-) Now it’s working like a charm!

I wouldn’t really say that these extensions are ‘incompatible’ with the ‘Global Resource Loader’

Yes, this is basically an issue of the Global Resource Loader — it works different from what people might expect.

Both extensions have now been modified to also support 2.0.6

This so cool, Knupska. At first I thought it’s only useful when building a site. Now I noticed it’s also great when cleaning up — I can easily see which pages use a certain datasource.

One idea, though: on the QuickDS page, it would be very cool to see the number of pages for every data source. This would make it even easier to discover “orphaned” data sources.

Like this:

My data source (0 pages)
My 2nd data source (5 pages)

Actually my idea above could be implemented rather easily. Replacing lines 24 to 26 of content.edit.php:

$container->appendChild(
    new XMLElement('legend', $datasource['name'])
);

by this:

$selected = 0;
foreach ($this->_pages as $page) {
    $selected += in_array($datasource['handle'], explode(',', $page['data_sources'])) ? 1 : 0;
}
$container->appendChild(
    new XMLElement('legend', $datasource['name'] . ' (' . $selected . ')')
);

does the job. But this solution produces some processing overhead. I am rather sure it can be done more elegantly…

QuickDS updated to version 1.2 on 8th of April 2010

Excellent idea Michael, a quick overview of datasource usage has now been implemented.

I’ve also rolled the changes across into QuickEvent.

Thank you very much, Nathan!

is there a newer version or maybe a successor to this extension flying around? or is this maybe still compatible with 2.3.x?

QuickDS allows you to quickly view, add & remove datasources on your pages in Symphony.

Do you want a datasource on 95 out of 100 pages?.. no problem! Want to find all unused datasources in your site?.. easy!

Never used this myself, but from the description it sounds like most if its features (add & remove datasources on your pages, ...) are already in Symphony core since 2.3.

yeah, you can bulk add / remove one or more datasources to / from a page. but sometimes you need to add a new datasource to say 50% of your pages. this is not possible with the core implementation as far as i know (no multiselect of pages from the ds-editor).