Search

Hey guys,

I’ve seen the forum thread on creating a poll with Symphony, but it’s dead and my requirements are a little different.

What I’m wondering is: is it possible to create a poll in Symphony, using extensions and such? I have no issue writing PHP, but I want to know if it’s even possible.

Basically, what I would have is a section that allows for a title, question, and then a variable amount of answers. Each answer would have a value, each value being the number of votes an answer has received.

The part I’m struggling with is getting my head wrapped around dealing with variable amounts of form elements. Is this possible using extensions, etc. in Symphony? Any ideas on a better way to do this?

Also, how would I deal with preventing multiple submissions? I can’t think of a way to do it without creating a ridiculous amount of entries in the polls section.

I think it would be possible, and really useful.

I recently needed to handle a poll, but I was storing unique voter data (to prevent multiple submission) so I was able to use an out-of-the-box section & event. If you determine another simpler dup vote solution, I think you’ll need to write a custom Event that increments the ‘votes’ field value for your Poll entry, rather than generating a bunch of ‘vote’ entries.

If you aren’t logging IPs or other client-specific data, then all I think you can do is create a cookie on the client, which of course is easy for a savvy client to remove. Anyone have other ideas?