Search

I have a new website coming up quickly where Symphony mostly will be used to import dynamic xml feeds from an external database so I can turn it into nice HTML (so in essence skipping the CMS part of symphony, a shame I know ;) ).

Should I go for the 2.0.7 release or stick with the 2.0.6?

I have seen some errors and bugs related to 2.0.7 coming up. And was the 2.0.7. also the version with the speed improvements, or was that the 2.0.8?

If it’s a lot of data, the speed improvements in 2.0.7 will be noticeable. Try 2.0.8RC1. Yes, it is a release candidate, but it is much more stable then 2.0.7

Ok now I am in doubt, use the release instead of the current version? ;)

A word from the symphony team perhaps?

I’m not on the team, but would definitely concur. I tend to stick to stable versions, but in my opinion, 2.0.8RC1 is more stable than 2.0.7!

Some extensions don’t work yet, but it’s only a small price to pay for the stability improvements…

I updated my websites to 2.0.7. Here are the patches I needed:

I also applied this:

(This should work with all the standard extensions. If you have more extensions, there might be additional issues.)‚

Is it possible for the default 2.0.7 install (.zip file) to be updated with these patches? That way, new users don’t have to run into the same errors.

This was what I hoped for.

Unfortunately at the moment the “latest stable” release of Symphony has show-stopping bugs. While the third item in my list (the performance related commit) is not required to run Symphony successfully, the first two are really important fixes.

So as 2.0.8 seems to be work in progress still, the team might indeed consider a patched 2.0.7 download file.

Ok thanks all , I’m going for the 2.0.8 I think.

But I still would like a word from the Symphony team. It seems a bit odd the release candidate is better rated then the current version.

Yes, I’ve been a bit nervous to jump on board with the new releases lately. Would love to have the peace of mind of knowing that a release is “approved” and pretty much bug-free.

Ditto. I’ve stuck with 2.0.6 until 2.0.8 is done.

Hope this post clears up some of the ambiguity on this front.

I think I will stock for 2.0.6 for now as well. Will upgrading from that to 2.0.8. be (slight) hassle?

Upgrading should be a breeze, except one point: extension compatibility. In the past many extensions were not compatible in time for new releases. No wonder, there were no Symphony release candidates — but the latter has changed fundamentally (thanks to the team for that), so I hope that this time it will be different.

If you don’t use more than a few (core) extensions, this won’t be a big problem anyway.

When I upgraded from 2.0.6 to 2.0.8 RC1, I found that most of my textareas which were using textformatting had lost their formatter settings.

It was easy to spot and rectify, (and it might even be something that I’d done myself by accident), but I think it was caused by a different set of formatters being provided in the copy of 2.0.8 RC1 that I had acquired.

The Markdown Formatter has changed which broke the default workspace (and existing workspaces/sites alike).