Search

After updating from 2.0.8RC3, I went to change the password and got this error message anytime I tried saving:

Symphony Fatal Database Error

Unknown column ‘language’ in ‘field list’

History: I upgraded from 2.0.7 to 2.0.8RC3 to 2.1.0.

In a different thread czheng suggested that the problem might be that I missed an intermediate upgrade. Does that sound like the case here, and, if so, is the best solution to start a 2.1.0 install from scratch? I’d rather not have to set up a brand new installation and all those sections, pages, and data sources if I don’t have to. :)

I think this is the SQL that should have executed during your update. But I don’t know why it wouldn’t have done so.

http://github.com/symphony/symphony-2/blob/master/update.php#L226

I ran the query you pointed to:

ALTER TABLE sym_authors ADD language VARCHAR(15) NULL DEFAULT NULL

and now things are working fine.

Thanks nickdunn.

There are a whole bunch of other queries in that update.php file that should have run too :-/

Well, I did originally run the update.php with no errors. I was informed of the password changes, and my attempt to reset the changed password was what led me to discover the language column error.

I just now ran update.php again, but it tells me:

It appears that Symphony has already been installed at this location and is up to date.

Do you recommend going through the update.php file and manually checking all the changes?

Do you recommend going through the update.php file and manually checking all the changes?

I’m afraid so…

Looking through the updates for various versions of symphony, some of those much earlier updates don’t seem to have been applied either. For example, <= 2.0.3:

ALTER TABLE sym_sections MODIFY navigation_group VARCHAR( 50 ) NOT NULL DEFAULT ‘Content’ —— (currently: VARCHAR( 255 ))

ALTER TABLE sym_sections ADD INDEX (navigation_group) —— (currently: isn’t indexed)

Should I ignore everything below 2.0.7 which is what I started with?

update.php also updates config.php. It currently shows ‘version’ => ‘2.1.0’. Do I need to double check anything there?

.htaccess looks OK.

Well I’m curious as to what your version is as described in manifest/config.php (symphony/version).

I guess in theory, you be able to change that back to something like 2.0.2 then run the updater again.

If that fails, what’s your environment setup?

brendo,

After poking through the update code, my spidey sense was going off too strongly to continue with the manual solution. I figured I was going to break as much as I fixed. Both routes looked tedious, so I opted for the devil I knew, downloaded the git version of 2.1.0 (in case it was more up to date than the .zip here on the Symphony site), and started with a fresh install. I thought that would go smoothly, but I’ve run into a strange issue with hyperactive log outs.

I took your suggestion with the original install, dropped the newly created language column that had given me issues at the start, changed the version info, and ran the update again. That gave me an error about a calendar column that couldn’t be dropped because it didn’t exist.

Can’t DROP ‘calendar’; check that column/key exists

An error occurred while attempting to execute the following query

ALTER TABLE sym_fields_date DROP calendar

That’s because I’m not really running a 2.0.2 install, and it doesn’t need all those earlier updates, just maybe(?) some of them. My assumption is that whatever version you start with, you are meant to end up with the same database and code. So updates to older versions that result in something different from what I saw in my 2.1.0 update seemed weird and prompted the original question of whether or not I should be checking them all. So it looks like I have some of the updates, but for some reason when I updated to 2.1.0, not all of them took.

Here’s my config info prior to your solution:

'pagination_maximum_rows' => '17',

'allow_page_subscription' => '1',

'lang' => 'en',

'version' => '**2.1.0**',

'cookie_prefix' => 'sym-',

and after

'pagination_maximum_rows' => '17',

'allow_page_subscription' => '1',

'lang' => 'en',

'version' => '**2.1.0**',

'cookie_prefix' => 'sym-',

'pages_table_nest_children' => 'no',

Other environment details:

**System**  Windows NT DEV001-DLS-D 5.1 build 2600 (Windows XP Professional Service Pack 3) i586 

**Apache Version**  Apache/2.2.12 (Win32) DAV/2 mod_ssl/2.2.12 OpenSSL/0.9.8k mod_autoindex_color PHP/5.3.0 mod_perl/2.0.4 Perl/v5.10.0

**Apache API Version**  20051115

**Server Administrator**    postmaster@localhost

**Hostname:Port**   localhost:80

**Max Requests**    Per Child: 0 - Keep Alive: on - Max Per Connection: 100

**Timeouts**    Connection: 300 - Keep-Alive: 5

**Virtual Server**  No

**Server Root**     S:/xampp/apache

**Loaded Modules**  core mod_win32 mpm_winnt http_core mod_so mod_actions mod_alias mod_asis mod_auth_basic mod_auth_digest mod_authn_default mod_authn_file mod_authz_default mod_authz_groupfile mod_authz_host mod_authz_user mod_cgi mod_dav mod_dav_fs mod_dav_lock mod_dir mod_env mod_headers mod_include mod_info mod_isapi mod_log_config mod_mime mod_negotiation mod_rewrite mod_setenvif mod_ssl mod_status mod_autoindex_color mod_php5 mod_perl