Search

Is it possible to rename the folder symphony to something like 'admin', so the link to the admin area will be "mysite.com/admin" ?

It's getting closer to achieve this, with Symphony 2.2 introducing a new constant, SYMPHONY_URL that has been rolled out against the majority of the core. The idea is if the constant was changed, the site would work regardless.

However, I don't think many extensions have picked up on this convention, so you may have to rely on some .htaccess rules to do the custom path for you.

I could of swore there was a thread about how to do that, but I can't find it at the moment. Maybe someone with a better memory will jump in shortly :)

yea i thought it would be simpler, i try to rename the path in some files like index and bundle, but no, not tha simple.

A file find and replace say symphony to 'newadminname' of all the files AND folders works in 2.06 - i think there is another post that details this.

show your pride! ;-)

(although I have to admit that our boss also was a lot like 'can't we change that URL?' in the beginning, although now he also sees that showing off that you're using Symphony is a USP.)

Something like Symphony Certified? ;-)

security wise, i ain't taking any chances. my clients can gloat over symphony once they have logged in!

Out of interest, why would you want to make this change? If anything, /symphony is more secure. If you check your server log files you'll almost certainly see references to /admin/ (along with wp-admin) as spammers/hackers make optimistic requests to obvious URLs. So keeping it at /symphony adds a small layer of obfuscation.

I'm hoping duhpc's point wasn't in changing /symphony to /admin but to /weird_but_memorable_link. I could guarantee many of the websites that have openly declared the use of Symphony CMS have left the spammer/hacker open to /symphony. I believe utilising https, /weird_but_memorable_link with ip restriction gives a little peace of mind.

well i understand the security of using symphony is a bit better, but the thing is this, i´m using symphony to develop websites here in Brazil, and you would not believe how people have difficulties with words out of our vocabulary, i know my clients will be telling me if that couldn´t be diferent, easier to type and remenber. The most important thing to my clients is having a custom admin panel with just what they need inside, so it stays easy to work with, and the admin link is one of those things. To me, if i´ll be using symphony to develop websites for the next years ahead, it would be a plus to have that customization level.

So at the end there is no way to do this at the moment ?

You could use a htaccess rule to direct your desired admin url to /symphony

Find this line in your .htaccess file

RewriteRule ^symphony/?$ index.php?mode=administration&%{QUERY_STRING} [NC,L]

and replace the text "symphony" with "admin" or some other text that suits your purpose. In my case I use both the "symphony" and the "admin" rewrite rule, but only on my local development site.

So at the end there is no way to do this at the moment ?

No, not "natively".

You could create a folder admin, put an index.php file inside with the contents:

<? header("Location: /symphony"); ?>

That'll redirect the user to /symphony, which has the same effect, but you don't need to mess about hacking files and potentially breaking stuff and creating bugs ;-)

Well i guess at the moment both "wisolman" and "nickdunn" solution are easy ways to do what i need, i will try both and see wich one i will stick to, thak you both for replying!