Search

I tryed to find a multiupload field but didn´t find any, i found a few upload fields but none of them lets you upload more then one image per entry, is there a symphony limitation for that? or nobody thought of that up until now?

What is it what you are trying to achieve? Perhaps your asking the wrong question.

If you want to add more uploads to a single entry you could achieve this by using the SubSectionManager for example.

The standard Symphony way would be to create a media section that you link to your entry section. You could either use the Selectbox Link Field, Bi-Link Field or Subsection Manager depending on your needs for an interface.

If you want to link multiple images to an entry, a very nice way of doing it is to use Subsection Manager.

Edit: whoops - too slow. :)

It's a limitation of the File Upload field, one file only. If you need multiple files then the preferred method at the moment is to use the Subsection Manager. You would create an Images section with just one field (File Upload) and hook it up to your existing section. This has the advantage that:

• you can add meta data about images (e.g. a text field for captions), if you need to
  • you can re-order the images via drag/drop, if you need to
  • you can share images between "parent" entries, if you need to

I was talking to Craig about the File Manager extension some time ago, and suggested that it should also come with a File Manager field that you can add to a section. This would act as a mini file browser that would let you upload multiple files into a given directory, while also choosing which ones to "attach". It's only an idea at the moment, and wouldn't have any of the benefits listed above.

I was thinking more like a multiupload inside the section, using something like uploadfy for jquery, instead of creating a diferent section for images, it would be easyer for my clients to use. The thing is that i have not seen anything like it, so i come to think that a extention like that can´t be made. If could be made i would try to, but i could not find the documentation on how to do that.

If i use symphony for my personal websites, that would not be a problem at all, i´m just studing symphonys possibilities, to sell websites based on clients requirements.

You can include the Subsection Manager on the main section, which links to the images section. The client can also "create" new image entries from the main section. It's very intuitive - you should give it a try.

The thing is that i have not seen anything like it, so i come to think that a extention like that can´t be made.

This sounds a lot like an extension I started writing (but never finished because the project got discontinued)..

So, it IS possible.

so i come to think that a extention like that can´t be made

Never say never :-)

I think the SSM field gives you what you need today, even though it might feel like overkill right now. But the minute your client asks "Where do I specify the alt text or captions for these images?", you'll thank yourself for using the SSM instead of plain file uploads!

@duhpc: Yes, SSM + Bulk Importer could be a great solution for what you want to do.

I could think of how a multi-upload extension could work and I know for sure it would be possible, but I only create extensions when I'm working on a job that would require something like that.

It sounds cheesy, but for now subsectionmanager has always done the job right for me ;-)

I will try the subsection maneger, seems to be a nice extention evern for my personal projects.

creativedutchmen, how hard was to the point where you stoped? i´m not a expert in php, and surely not in synphony, but i could try to continue if you gave me the files.

I already did an html5/javascript multifile upload a while ago, anyone interested in turning my code into an extension for symphony?

I saw this and thought it would translate into a very nice extension, http://www.plupload.com/

Yes, I thought plupload would be nice too.

i think a multiupload field would be a nice adition to the extentions list, i don´t know much about synphonys core, so somebody with some symphonys knowledge could help in getting this done.

The experimental extension I posted above also used plupload. However, the current implementation of that proof-of-concept is very confusing.

@duhpc: quite hard. The code is hosted on github, you can fork it if you like. The biggest problem was/is time. The extension was originally built for a bigger project that didn't make it 'till the end..

However, I do have plans to take what I've learnt from the first version, and finally finish it. No timeline yet, though.