Search

A new extension, "Extension Installer" is now available for download. Comments and feedback can be left here but if you discover any issues, please post it on the issue tracker.

Guess you should mention importcsv as a dependency.

Just a few things that I'd like to mention:

• does it keep track of updated extensions?
  • installation status should be reflected an the administration page
  • Since Symphony 2.3 is coming soon, most active maintained extensions have probably moved 2.2.X compatibility to a different tag/branch than master. Choosing a different branch that matches your symphony version would be a great addition.

What do you think?

Hey iwgy,

Thanks for your input and for pointing out my error - importcsv was a dependency in the project's infancy but no longer is, I've removed the reference and committed the patch.

• The extension uses the API XML Feed
    from symphonyextensions.com and so
    will be as up-to-date as that feed
    is.
  • I completely agree with needing some kind of installation status, I'll look at including that with the next batch of features.
  • The extension was developed with both 2.2.X and 2.3 in mind, but I accept it's not particularly clear at the moment.

Have you seen Extension Status? It doesn't try to do any of the installation (that's not something I want to get involved with, since everyone has their own preferred workflow in my opinion), but it does some of the work of checking compatibility.

It aims to tell the user when there is a new compatible version available. It's not perfect yet, but a work in progress.

hm, strange.

http://mysite.com/symphony/extension/extension_status/proxy/?id=extensionid works just fine, but hitting the check for updates button results in a bunch of 404s Failed to load resource: the server responded with a status of 404 (Not Found) http://mysite.com/symphony/extension/extension_status/proxy/?id=extensionid. Any idea?

Not sure, but probably best to log it here as this is the Extension Installer thread :-)

Edit: could have been because you had Symphony installed in a subfolder, bug fixed just now.

jetbackwards, kickass extension and idea. I think Nick makes a good point that everybody's workflow differs. This could be an invaluable extension for many. I would keep the focus of the extension related to installation and leave status related extension stuff to Nick's Extension Status.

nickdunn, would it help if Extension Status provided a delegate that Extension Installer could utilize if it were installed alongside?

The main reason I believe it's helpful to keep the two core processes separate, installation and status, is because I can see where the extension installer might be used for a client but the developer/designer would not want extension statuses known to the client (oh no, my website is out of date! Something is wrong I need to call my designer/developer!).

This is a really interesting concept, keep up the good work and this will be a killer extension!

Hey everyone!

I've updated the extension_installer to be compatible with Symphony 2.3, please upgrade to get rid of those horrible errors.

If you're still using 2.2.x don't worry! There is a separate git branch that will be maintained for you.

Tom

nice thank you !

is that possible that you add the installer to the system navigation and not to blueprints ?

It would be great if the installer show the compatibility of the extensions to the current system.

there is a bug in the new version in symphony 2.3 the title and search form is on the wrong place ?