Search

I see some extensions missing LICENSE text. How are those extensions licensed?

Would it be good idea to require (or at least recommend) extension developers to add licensing information to the extension.

Good point. I think I am one of the developers that do not include license information with extensions. Why? I don't know. It's just not something I think about when releasing an extension.

Do you have any recommendations on licenses? Which ones would work for Symphony, and why?

Well, it's up to developer to think what license to use. But I just would like to be sure what my rights are regarding to extension in question.

Symphony itself is under MIT.

Personally, I think that if a developer doesn't include a license in their extension, I am licensed to use it the same way Symphony is licensed.

But that's just my opinion.

I've never been interested enough to Google what the licences are and the differences between them (MIT, GNU/GPL, BSD etc).

As far as I'm concerned, if I throw some Symphony-related code into a public repository and release it, people can do what they want with it. It doesn't need a formal licence.

For what's it's worth licence is the noun and license the verb e.g.:

I am licensing my software under the MIT licence

Pet hate, even if the Americans spoil it :-)

But I just would like to be sure what my rights are regarding to extension in question.

If in any doubt, probably best to contact the developer directly, perhaps by opening an issue on Github.

For what's it's worth licence is the noun and license the verb e.g.:

Thanks.

As far as I'm concerned, if I throw some Symphony-related code into a public repository and release it, people can do what they want with it. It doesn't need a formal licence.

Same here. Honestly, I don't really care how my code is used. Of course, I would be a little pissed if somebody would sell the code as their work. But in the end: why bother. It's not like I would have made the sale otherwise, so I am not losing money.

In addition, I don't think I would be pissed enough to fetch a lawyer and spent money on lawsuits.

Honestly, I don't really care how my code is used.

In this case, why don't you just add the same licence that Symphony ships with (MIT) which allows the usage of your code without restrictions? It would simplify things for the users and it can be added in less than a minute.

Good point, and the simple answer is: I don't know.

I do think having clarity for the end-user is a good thing, so I will try to remember to add the licence in the future.