Search

I just wandered how Symphony deals with one-time snippets of content such as a site intro or contact information or other errata which doesn't warrant an individual section as it'll only ever contain a single entry?

Is there anything either native or as an extension that provides a nice place where the user can still edit this information?

There's a nice extension (Limit section entries) which allows you to specify the maximum number of entries in a section.

I guess that would work to make sure that users only ever entered in one entry but for lots of small snippets of information this could still make it tedious to edit multiple pieces of information. Thinking about it I suppose I could also make a 'General' section and then include multiple fields for various site information. So I could include a field for the site intro, contact information, etc all in the one page. I think this would work... How do you and other people tackle those scenarios?

Usually I create a phrase/translation section in the back-end. Which has two values.

1. Key - this is used to identify the phrase say site.title
  2. Phrase - the actual phrase that I want to use. This allows me to change phrases without having to touch templates.

Obviously on some websites I've got plenty of these 'phrases' but it's something worth having I guess.2.

Edit.

Then I would have a template which takes care of fetching the right phrase. I just do

<xsl:call-template name='phrase'> 
<xsl:with-param name='key' value='site.title'/>
</xsl:call-template>

How do you and other people tackle those scenarios?

I as well have a section for various general information (title, footer contact etc)

Thanks for the insights guys. It's interesting to see how others approach it. I think I'll go a generalised section of odds-and-ends and see how that works out. I like the key/value approach to site-wide variables too. I can see how that could be useful. Great info.