Search

In Symphony, would it be possible to export the source data (Sections/Fields) into plain XML files? This would be good if I want to reuse my data elsewhere. In future I may contemplate using a native XML database such as eXist for my CMS.

Hi Gerhard, I am not sure there is an extension which currently this this. However as of Symphony 2.4 sections should be handled via XML rather then the database as is currently. Someone might have already started working on implementing this in a fork/branch; so you might want to have a look to check.

Hi there. See this thread.

Here's the new home of the Content Type Mappings extension.

You can use the Scaffolds extension to export sections as JSON. These JSON files can be imported into other Symphony installs to quickly recreate the section.

I've used scaffolds before and works like a charm - if you want to keep your data within Symphony of course.

Here are a selection of useful extensions to help export your system's underlying structure into a reusable (and readable) format:

• The Section Schemas extension exposes a section's structure and presents the data as XML to a page.
  • The Entity Diagram extension exposes the fields and relationships between sections as an interactive UML-like diagram which can also be read by Graphviz.

As for entries within your sections, you could use export them in two ways:

1. Use a DB export extension, like Dump DB, which will only export your data in SQL format.
  2. Use Import/Export CSV extension to export your data in CSV format.
  3. Take the long route and create the relevant data sources and attach them to a page along with appropriate XSLT to transform (or dump straight to output). Then use something like the mentioned Content Type Mappings extension to serve the page as XML.