Search

Hi,

I'm new to Symphony CMS, what I would like to do is create a global custom area within the footer of the website. Is it possible to create a datasource and add it to the master.xsl file? As I have attempted to do this with no success, can you only add datasources to pages? If you can only add datasources to pages how do you create a CMS controlled area that changes across all pages when it is updated.

Thanks for any help in advance. Gary

Hi Gary,

Welcome!

You would need to attach the datasource to each of the pages. For example, say I have a datasource called footer-navigation. I would attach that data source to all of my pages. In Symphony 2.3 there is the option to "attach to all pages" in the datasource index view.

I would then write my xslt template for the footer-navigation in my master.xsl. If you are calling the footer xslt template from within the master.xsl file then this is all you need to do (assuming that each of your pages is including the master.xsl file)

I hope that makes sense, not sure how well I am explaining it. Let me know if you need me to explain it in further detail.

If you don't want to manually go and attach it to every page, you can use the Global Resource Loader to do it for you!

http://symphonyextensions.com/extensions/globalresourceloader/

From the datasources index view, you can select and attach datasources to all pages using the 'With Selected' options as of 2.3 :)