Search

Please discuss the documentation for Installation in this thread.

I have a project that I would like to use Symphony for, however the server it needs to run on only has PHP version 5.1.6 installed.

In the documentation (Installation, 2.1 Server Requirements) it states that Symphony requires PHP 5.2.x or above, but in the latest install.php file from the repository line 72 it is only testing for PHP version 5.1.3.

Can anyone explain this inconsistency and confirm the minimum PHP version requirement?

I can’t confirm this as I am running 5.2.9 but it could be an error in the documentation.

I remember Alistair thinking loud about PHP 5.2 as a new minimum requirement. But I am not sure how serious this is actually.

I found we had a PHP error in the backend when running 5.1.6 — some array function that was added in 5.2 — hence it’s now 5.2. I’m not sure what other dependencies of 5.2 there are.

I see a problem in that page: People who want to install Symphony might not always be interested in “Working with Git”. Put that section in a “How to install nightly builds”-section and concentrate on installing the .zip in the first sections.

Oh and please add a note that Symphony will not run on Windows.

@phoque

What do you mean Symphony will not run on Windows? I’m running it under WAMP for development no problems…

Or did I miss some subtle humour in there? ;-)

I’m thinking phoque is referring to running Symphony under Microsoft IIS which won’t support .htaccess. But I’ve heard others have indeed successfully run Symphony under Apache running on Windows.

Uhm, it didn’t work for me under Windows and Apache. Some slash-backslash-problem: apparently, {$workspace} is returning “http://localhost/workspace/”

@phoque

Could you give some more specifics of your Windows setup. I have it running under XP with Apache 2.0.63, MySQL 5, PHP 5.2.6. No problems at all.

Please continue here.

Was this resolved? I’m getting the same %5c (/) character added after my domain name.

FYI: I am running a local install of Zend Server CE for development.

same issue, wampserver2 setup. checked all requirements. and getting the extra in all the urls

I found that line 18 in symphony/lib/boot/bundle.php seems to be the offending line. if you remove the % from

header(sprintf(‘Location: %/install.php’, URL));

the installation runs as normal. I also found that this only happens under firefox3.5. ie8 and safari appear to run the installation and site regardless if the % is there or not.

change index.php and the DOMAIN define to strip backslashes

define('DOMAIN', rtrim(rtrim($_SERVER['HTTP_HOST'], '/\') . dirname($_SERVER['PHP_SELF']), '/\'));

Also for proper sprintf usage change

symphony/lib/boot/bundle.php line 18 and change to

header(sprintf(‘Location: %s/install.php’, URL));

updated my post above. cheers

Dan,

I’m having similar issues. I’m running Windows Vista Ultimate SP1 and have tried both Zend Server and xampp with the %5c (ASCII for \) being added in my url, making symphony unusable. I’m working through your fix and had a couple of comments.

symphony/lib/boot/bundle.php

First, regarding symphony/lib/boot/bundle.php line 18, the corrected code you’ve posted looks identical to me. It does not mean that it is, I’m just having trouble seeing what’s been changed. I was able to get things working without making changes to bundle.php.

index.php

Second, I would offer the following suggestion to the code submitted at position 16 above. This was the code presented:

define('DOMAIN', rtrim(rtrim($_SERVER['HTTP_HOST'], '/\') . dirname($_SERVER['PHP_SELF']), '/\'));

This is my suggestion. (Please notice the double backslashes. The single backslashes escape the close quotes and cause a parsing error):

define('DOMAIN', rtrim(rtrim($_SERVER['HTTP_HOST'], '/\\') . dirname($_SERVER['PHP_SELF']), '/\\'));

N.B.: I see that it is possible that you added the double backslashes and the wysiwyg here treated it as an escape itself. I had some trouble getting what I wanted to be what I saw with the symphony forum’s text editor.

Still Need Help

These changes allowed me to install symphony locally, but when I click on the admin link on the frontend homepage symphony is still adding %5c prior to the /symphony/ root dir and after the domain name. From what I can tell this is an .htaccess problem and perhaps an httpd.conf issue.

Dan, I’d like to know if you’re having post installation issues as I am. If anyone has suggestions for how to get symphony to jive with these fairly ubiquitous Apache-Windows installation configurations, I’d be extremely appreciative.

I have tried the following changes in httpd.conf. I changed:

<Directory />
     Options FollowSymLinks
     AllowOverride None
     Order deny,allow
     Deny from all
</Directory>

to this:

<Directory />
    Options FollowSymLinks
    AllowOverride **All**
    Order deny,allow
    Deny from all
</Directory>

These changes had no effect (though the 2.5 hours I’ve been jacking with this has had great affect on me personally) on the obstinate %5c that continues to be added only when trying clicking the admin link to the backend (symphony/ directory). The above fix addresses how to get through the installation.

In browsers like safari the ascii %5c is replaced with a regular slash resulting in domain.com//symphony/ when going from page to page within the symphony/ directory. This allows for functional work within the backend.

Browsers Report

Internet Explorer: The absolute irony is that IE8 seems to work the best out of the browsers we’ve engaged (even when you select the “break this site” button from the toolbar; i.e., Compatibility View).

Google Chrome 2.0.172.33: (current) handles everything like IE8 does, not balking on the domain.com//directories/ issue.

Firefox 3.0.11: and 3.5 totally crap out on the hard / characters added between the domain and the directories.

Safari 4 (PC): hangs when moving from the front end to the back end on the %5c/ added between the domain and the directories.

Operating System Considerations

This testing was done on a Windows Vista Ultimate x64 SP1 machine. My colleague, Brian Zerangue, has installed symphony on an XP SP3 virtual machine and the double slashing seems to not occur. So this issue in Symphony may be isolated to Vista and not all PC OSs.

Wjnielsen,

The fix to code change for index.php is actually what I supplied but for some reason the comment system stripped it when posting it here. not sure why.

the fixed to bundle.php is that %/ should be changed to %s/ these changes have been added to git.

looking into your admin issue and will report back what I find. if you can post your httpd-vhosts info as well that would be great.