Search

Things are new around here, in case you didn't notice, which I'm sure is not the case (that these things didn't not go unnoticed, that is). The reason for this is because Symphony 2.0 has now finally replaced Symphony 1.7 as the newest stable, recommended, official version for you to make websites and pizzas with.

Symphony can be obtained in two ways:

1. For the wise: Download the latest stable release right from the front page. (No need for account registration; we're going to phase that out eventually.)
  2. For the bold: Grab the very ultra-newest, possibly unstable code from Symphony's git repository. (You can contribute there too! Read some intructions on how to do this.)

NOTE! The bug tracker has moved. Please point your browsers to the new domain to suggest bugs that need fixing, feature requests, or just general improvements.

Also, the old forum is still around, along with the wiki for anyone feeling nostalgic.

Our bug squashing bonanza week was very productive. Here is the changelog:

Improvements:

• The debug page has been converted to use Rowan's excellent "Bitter" syntax highlighter, which includes highlighting for well-formedness errors, AVT syntax and parameter references.
  • Unused (or useless) preferences have been removed or relocated to /manifest/config.php.
  • The select box link field has been adopted in the core as a replacement for the section link field.

Bug Fixes:

• Symphony's character recognition has been improved in many places. [233, 274, 276, 277, 284, 285, 289, 291]
  • The data source editor is much less buggy. [226, 243, 275, 282, 283, 292]
  • Some edge cases that caused XML errors have been fixed. [220, 250, 255, 293]
  • Authors are now better integrated with various field types. [208, 247]
  • Date handling is less buggy. [250, 271]
  • Plenty of other minor bugs too numerous for me to mention here without inducing RSI have been addressed.

Congrats all around!

One point of clarification: the selectboxlinkfield, though adopted "in core," still needs to be installed as an extension?

Fantastic news! It's great to finally have a stable release of Symphony 2 to offer clients (and for us to play with). And we can look forward to Mark Lewis's documentation. Thank you to everyone who helped to get Symphony 2 released! It's also great to see the changes to the showcase, forum and extensions library. There's something to be said for having such a long beta period - it helps immensely to have such a rich library of extensions available with the final release.

Bravo all :)

Procrastination does work!

I have been holding off developing two Web sites using Symphony, waiting for the next release and here it is! Look forward to the documentation.

Many thanks!

yay! Now, time to start upgrading...

Well my debug page shows a bunch of numbers, and then beneath them I get the code. Its almost like it has dropped below the numbers.

http://www.nicktoye.co.uk/?debug

Hmm, and I have also noticed that when I look at the config.php file in Manifest it still says Revision 5.

config.php file in Manifest it still says Revision 5.

Did you install a fresh copy? or upgrade? If you upgraded, than the config is not touched. I'll add instructions to the readme. Since 2.0 is more stable rev 5, the upgrade procedure is very painless and requires minimal steps.

Yeah I am upgrading. Is there further things I need to do?

Negatory.

Congrats! Symphony has come a long way.

I'll be upgrading shortly :-)

Quick question about upgrading:

Does the 2.0 release include the 'later than' and 'earlier than' DS functionality on the date field? Will I need to add that back into the source after an update?

This is in reference to this modification: http://symphony21.com/forum/discussions/256/1/#position-27

Does the 2.0 release include the 'later than' and 'earlier than' DS functionality on the date field?

Apologies, it does not. I will add it into the Git repository today.

No prob! Thanks for the attention.

Does the 2.0 release include the 'later than' and 'earlier than' DS functionality on the date field?

http://github.com/symphony/symphony-2/commit/15401a693a6b77c2f2661a3f6b7f5d218bbcb5c7

I've added this in. Its semi-experimental, so let me know if there are any problems.

So does this mean the latest bleeding edge version is going to be on github?

Yup. Have a read of this thread for info.

I have got that now, excellent.

fantastic news, great job guys!