Search

The value of @value depends on the context. I highly recommend you created a very simple demo site and created all the XSLT yourself first before trying to understand someone elses code.

Create a site with one section, one DS, one page and one utility and try doing all of it yourself.

roelof,

to test wether or not the XPATH you’re passing to your XSLT template is targetting the right node of your XML tree, open the current page you’re templating on the browser and add ?debug to it. Now you should be able to see the Symphony debug tool. Write the XPATH you’re passing to your XSLT template on the top of the debug tool page – there is an input field there – hit enter and see if it matches what you would like it to match. If the XPATH is correct, the node will be highlighted in a funky green color. If nothing at all is highlighted, the problem is in your XPATH syntax.

Have a look at the following screenshot for example:

debug

@phoque.

So you tip is re-install symphony without the standard example and try to make a archive page from stratch

Yeah, create another symphony installation (you can have as many as you like anyways) and create something simple like a blog without comments but forget the archive page for now.

O, So I can have more sites in one symphony installation?

No, but on one server, using vhosts.

oke, then I will make 2 sites with 2 different url's with both different databases. Thank for the help.

I now have a clean install and im first going to work on the layout and the display of some articles as phoque has said. So a lot of work for the next few days.

Cool, good luck. And please, keep it simple but try creating all of it yourself. It'll be a real eye-opener. :-)

So, It's not good to follow a tutorial ?

Hello phoque,

I have a question. I have now a blog containing 2 months without a layout. Now I wonder what's the best way to display only articles of a particluar month. Do I have to use a DS for it or do i have to use xslt for it.

Start by simply displaying all of them. This lesson is for you to learn the basics of DSes and XSLT. :-)

@Phogue : I have succeed in displaying them all. See mijn site

Can you show us the XSLT?

Of course I can. The whole xslt can be found here : XSLT

OK, apparently you get the idea of applying templates and context nodes. Because before, when doing the month archive stuff, it appeared that you did not. :-)

Oke, Still the question : what's the best way to achieve that only 1 month is shown. A DS or code it in xslt ?

You can find more on Data Source filtering in the Learning section, particularly the line on "Range Operators".

I will study it. Thanks for the tip. Because I want to use pagination on the months I enabled pagination in the elements part of the DS. But I don't see it. Do I have to write the xslt for that myself. I like to have previuous next instead of numbers