Search

Subsection Manager 2 updated to version 3.5.1 on 22nd of November 2013

In case the (more or less) recent updates of Subsection Manager 2 might lead people into thinking otherwise:

Nils is not going to update this extension for Symphony 2.4. It’s not working. Someone else might be able to fix it. But we should rather focus on creating a replacement based on the current Select Box Link Field.

Nils was suggesting this might be more than one extension since SSM tried to do to many thinks at once.

The replacement exists and is called Select Box Link Plus. Use my fork of it (see the link).

Although, it needs upgrade to Symphony 2.4 since jQuery changed.

@vlad whoops thanks brilliant, I totally missed this! Must have a closer look in a bit!

@vladg: I've used SBL+ quite a lot in projects over the last years, but haven't used it for a while now as a few things stopped working after S233 and the official repository doesn't seem to be maintained anymore.

It would be great to see symphonyextensions.com list your fork if you are actively supporting and developing this extension.

Regarding that: I just had a look at your fork and noticed that the latest SBL-Update doesn't seem to be considered there either - are you planning an upgrade for S233+? Would be great!

Hmm. I should have a look then.

@vlad Many thanks in advance. It would be lovely to see your fork up and running for Symphony 2.4 since SSM is the main 2.4-update-showstopper for nearly all of my Symphony sites. I’m very curious to check it out, especially since it has been around for so long without me noticing …

Guess we should rather continue this here.

Would anyone be interested in upgrading SSM to work with Symphony 2.5 as a paid project?

I still feel that SSM is the best solution for many use cases from a users perspective and would be interested in funding the project. Perhaps others might joint me in a crowd funding model?

Please reply here or get in touch at stuart [at] eyes-down.net if you would consider taking this on.

Thanks

Have you checked out Nils' recent work on associations? From my understanding, it's a new and more modular version of SSM that utilizes more core functionality.

http://www.getsymphony.com/discuss/thread/106489/

Yes and it works very well for new sites but I have legacy sites with hundreds of SSM entries which I'd like to keep using. I am/was a very big fan of SSM and used it prolifically :-0

Might still be easier/cheaper long term to write a database migration and move to the new stuff instead of having to keep a legacy extension up-to-date.

It is possible to conveniently migrate from SSM to associations. Made my day.

I also used SSM just everywhere and now I am even more happy with the associations.

Thanks. This is of course a much better solution :-)

Depending on site structure the migration is not always trivial, site structure can be a problem if there's nested SSMs already.

Having said that it's worth doing and the UI is especially nice compared to SSM.

nested SSMs sound like a possible conceptual problem :)

Back in the day it sounded like a pragmatic solution :)

@munki sure :)