Search

Craig, any plans to update this to match the newer Page editor page? It would be nice to shield the user from the all of the configuration options. When creating a page from a template I wonder whether you could make only the Parent Page and Title editable. This would allow clients to build their own Pages which inherit the correct DS, Events and XSLT includes.

Having this functionality might solve the discussion raised in the Building a very simple symphony site wihout all the fuzz thread.

Yes, I started working on this a few weeks ago (because it’s broken in 2.0.6 as far as I can tell), but it turns out the extension needs to be largely rewritten because of the new page workflow. And if it’s going to be mostly rewritten anyway, I figured I might as well start fresh and see if I can’t come up with something that’s a little more robust and has wider applicability.

Now if only I could find the time to do it…

What’s up with this extension? Looks like it still isn’t supported in 2.0.6. How come?

it turns out the extension needs to be largely rewritten because of the new page workflow. And if it’s going to be mostly rewritten anyway, I figured I might as well start fresh and see if I can’t come up with something that’s a little more robust and has wider applicability.

Now if only I could find the time to do it…

i.e. This extension will not be updated for 2.0.6+, but there’s a chance I might be able to whip up a replacement.

I took Craigs ideas and rewrote the extension, so it’s compatible with 2.0.8 now. You can find the extension at http://github.com/klaftertief/page_templates. I renamed the extension and the database tables a bit and it still needs some code cleanup and documentation.

Craig, any plans to update this to match the newer Page editor page? It would be nice to shield the user from the all of the configuration options. When creating a page from a template I wonder whether you could make only the Parent Page and Title editable. This would allow clients to build their own Pages which inherit the correct DS, Events and XSLT includes.

I’m building a companion extension that allows auhors/clients to have a basic page management.

Awesome. One less thing to maintain :) Thanks, Jonas!

No problemo.

Should I keep the changed extension and database table names or should I change it to match your names? I’m happy to support the further development and I’m wondering if I should send you pull requests or develop the new version as a separate extension.

No, you should go ahead and develop it as a separate extension. Even the name of the old extension is deprecated now that page “templates” are edited separately.

I’m hijacking this thread to post a video preview of my rewrite of the Page Templates extension. It still needs some cleaning and documentation before I’m going to post it in the Extensions section (and create a separate thread). One major new feature is the possibility to not only clone templates but to use templates as a reference for pages, as asked by ashooner.

A question for native english speaker. There is a naming collision with XSLT Templates (native Symphony) and and Page Templates (extension). What would be a good alternative for Page Templates?

This is looking very nice, Jonas. I think we need to avoid the word templates altogether. As you note, there are templates in XSLT, and now Symphony natively refers to a page’s XSLT stylesheet as its template.

Maybe something like “Page Clones” or “Prototypes” or something like that?

Prototypes sounds good. I think I’ll take that.

Craig et al: I noticed that the pagetemplates repo is no longer on GitHub. Is this no longer supported?

@klaftertief Is your extension available via gitHub?

Yep, and just updated for symphony 2.3.

https://github.com/klaftertief/page_prototypes