Search

Swiftmailer is a very big library, and it has some strange bugs. So it shouldn’t be part of the core. On the other hand: Yes, I am using Swiftmailer (a lot). I would appreciate a way to replace Symphony’s core email method using an extension (i.e. without hacking the core). Unfortunately, it’s not possible to override those core methods.

When I enable this extension I get a HTTP Error 500 Internal server error and can not access any part of Symphony. Any ideas what might cause this issue?

First thing is to add display_errors “on” into your .htaccess. This should show you the error and it’s origin.

@carsten: the SMTP library adds a .htaccess directive. Specifically, it changes the include path so the PEAR library is available. I’m guessing that is the problem. Do you have any control over the hosting environment?

members extension related thread may help.

Thanks for all the suggestions. I discovered that adding a phpvalue or a phpflag to htaccess results in an Internal Server Error. Unfortunately I have no control over the php or webserver configuration, so I hope that I can fix this with the solution suggested by @alpacaaa.

Will report later if I can get SMTP to work.

Hi, I can’t get this to enable in 2.0.8RC1, it just returns to the extensions backend page with the extension disabled :(

Anyone seen anything like this before?

Ok, my .htaccess wasn’t writable so it wouldn’t enable. Any way to get it to throw an error instead of just fail?

I tried to figure out how to post this bug on Github, but I don’t see a way to do it. So I’m posting it here. There is a bug that prevents the SMTP library from working. I’m not a huge PHP guy, but I can usually tell how to link files.

Within the class.email.php file, on line 8 it says:

require_once "Mail.php";

Shouldn’t this be:

require_once "pear/Mail.php";

That’s the only way I can get fatal error messages not to come up.

I have had to do the alteration mentioned by Brian just before this post, I would like to know if there is any way to test whether this was successful, and that mail can be sent using this extension? I haven’t got any pages or xslt set up yet so can’t do it that way.

Does anyone have a way of testing this, even if it is a PHP file I have to run from my browser?

I can’t get the members extension to email me.. what are the settings I should have for http://see.weareinto.com/3PAG I’ve tried this too http://see.weareinto.com/3OkJ any thoughts?

Hi into, it’s nearly impossible to support this beta implementation. We all know that it’s rather buggy.

The good news is: There will be an official release of the Members extension, hopefully in the next few weeks. It will rely on the new Core Email API of Symphony (which is nearly finished and will be released with Symphony 2.2). It should work really great (then)…

i’m getting this error in my logs:

/home/site/.htaccess: Invalid command 'php_value', perhaps misspelled or defined by a module not included in the server configuration, referer: http://www.site.com/

the .htaccess file gets updated correctly with

php_value include_path  "extensions/smtp_email_library/lib/pear:."

any clues as to what is going on or what else i need to do to resolve this?

update: found out from the hosting company that this is b/c they compile their PHP builds as CGI instead of an Apache module. Are there any pros/cons to this from a symphony stand point?

@wtdtan I have the exact same ‘problem’ on our new server. I’ve just had to remove the .htaccess rule and disable the membership module from sending confirmation emails in the mean time.

We do have control over our hosting environment but its abit above me to what we need to do to get this to work. Any higher powers have any advise?

It’s to do with how your VirtualHost is set up. Your Apache conf file will have your VirtualHost directives in it, where it is depends on what system you’re running on.

The VirtualHost needs at least AllowOverride Options to let the SMTP Email extension to use this Pear library.

Have a look at this to see how to set up virtual hosts.

Have a look at this to understand options for htaccess.

Im having a problem with the list of recipients being cut off, cut off mid email like email@doma is there a max length for the list of recipients? can i make it longer?

edit - woops im using email template filter not smtp

I am using MAMP and it’s claiming

WARNING: 2 - fsockopen() [<a href='function.fsockopen'>function.fsockopen</a>]: unable to connect to 127.0.0.1:25 (Connection refused) in file /Users/path/www/httpdocs/extensions/smtp_email_library/lib/pear/Net/Socket.php on line 147

Thoughts?

i encountered the same problem as into. there seems to exist a bug in class.email.php, line 42.

i think it should be:

Mail::factory('smtp', Symphony::Configuration()->get('smtp_email_library'))->send(

...instead of:

Mail::factory('smtp', array(Symphony::Configuration()->get('smtp_email_library')))->send(

...which makes impossible for the mailer object to locate proper keys in the params array.

PS. oh, and i had to install PEAR/Auth_SASL module to make the extension work.

@hauru, are you also using MAMP? I don't think this is a bug with the code, more to d with server setup.

With MAMP, you may need to set up Postfix, I have had trouble with SMTP myself.

Also, the PEAR module is not a requirement, and it should work fine without it.