Search

Thanks for the help! I will try this out and report back. Really appreciate the posted mods.

So the basic seems to be working, thanks a bunch!

I am not sure if this is something that is related to the conversion or my setup, need to try to figure out how to do inspect cookies on an android phone. It seems that using ?not-mobile to redirect back to the primary site works fine. The issue is that any subsequent page will automatically redirect back to the mobile site.

Seems per docs that ?not-mobile should drop a cookie and prevent subsequent redirects to the mobile site.

Anyone else have issues getting the cookie/no-redirect functionality to work?

Ok, so checking with safari and setting user agent to ipad, cookie does not seem to be set. Looking in code, seems that 'no-mobile-redirect' cookie should be set, but safari web inspector does not show that cookie.

Guessing it may be a 5.3 thing again.

Is there any way to use this extension to find out if the device is a tablet as opposed to a phone?

I'd like to serve images to everything except phones, including tablets. My XSLT is currently:

<xsl:if test="//device/@is-mobile = 'no'">
    <!-- img -->
</xsl:if>

As an in-between: When targeting only IOS can't we just assume they don't need separate layouts? For Ipad's some people think you'd better not.... I also remember a recent online newspaper redesign (reported by john gruber? times? anyone...?) with css that just 'flexed' to a smaller screen until pics became thumbs, details vanished, and eventually thumbs disappeared. I guess they used responsive web design like in the bootstrap extension.

@newnomad Are you thinking of the Boston Globe redesign? The lead consultant on that project coined the term “responsive web design” and wrote the book you linked to.

Thats the one Brian! Btw there is a nice framework that offers it out of the box; skeleton. And Twitter Bootstrap (smaller file, and more advanced) will be offering it soon too.

There are some projects like MobileESP and WURFL that detects lots of devices. You can check for tablet devices, android tablets, smartphones, desktop webkit and lots of other tier methods.

Can one of these projects be implemented in this extension?

I've been looking at MobileESP after you mentioned it in this thread, @renan_santos, and it sounds really good. I was wondering about having a go at creating an extension based on it.

@DavidOliver That would be fantastic! I'm new to php. If my knowleadge was better i would create an extension like this, but if you decide to go ahead with this idea i'm totally open for discussions. I could also help with the extension planning.

@renon_santos, okay, great. Maybe I'll start a repo with issues enabled at Github so that we and anyone who would like to help and plan can join in.

I'm also no PHP expert (understatement!) and effectively got stuck trying to do my first extension based on Handsetdetection.com a few months back, but I think MobileESP is simpler and would like to have another go.

@DavidOliver Please, send me an e-mail at my website so we can keep in touch.

I'm trying to use this extension for our site and want to enable the redirect functionality. Currently my mobile site is using the same Symphony installation and I just have a page named "m".

When I enter "m" or "/m" in my "Redirect URL" preferences, I get a "too many redirects" sort of message on the iPhone.

Am I doing this right? Is there a way to "disable" the redirect on the mobile page itself? Or should it do that automatically?

Any help with the above question would be appreciated, is clarification needed? Thanks!

symphony 2.2.5 I get a blank white screen when I upload the extension to the folder and go to extensions page.

Any idea?

symphony 2.2.5 I get a blank white screen when I upload the extension to the folder and go to extensions page.

Try adding php_flag display_errors on to your .htaccess file to see the error.

the error in the error log is

[24-Dec-2011 13:42:37] PHP Parse error: syntax error, unexpected TPAAMAYIMNEKUDOTAYIM, expecting ',' or ')' in /ssd/home/chee1376/public_html/mydinersite.com/extensions/mobiledevicedetection/libs/class.mobiledevice.php on line 5

I think its a php version issue I only have 5.2.17

gonna use useragent_details to detect mobile instead.

Yeah you need PHP 5.3 for this. You should consider upgrading, 5.2.17 is pretty old.