Search

Is it possible that all cool Symphony extensions have started as something simple and later "have gone wrong" :)

I really like that interface.

Im having trouble installing this, the UI extension installs fine but as soon as the breadcrumb_field folder is put in the extensions folder the back end becomes a white page.

Yes, there is code which is PHP 5.3 only, the syntax is not supported in PHP 5.2.

https://github.com/rowan-lewis/breadcrumb_field/issues/2

To see the true error you should enable PHP errors in your .htaccess

php_flag display_errors 1

Is this going to be changed?

The extension looks very useful.

Ah seems like hes working on it. Ok I can be patient.

Does anyone have more info on what can be filtered using this field in the Datasource? there is a description under the field when selected that indicates "children-of:" as a method but I'm not sure what syntax is permitted in the field and couldn't find a WIKI on the github repo on what's possible to filter for output.

I'm using a section as Page entries and am wondering if it's possible to filter entries by it's breadcrumb value and therefore having a hierarchical url structure using a single Symphony page, but not sure what to enter in the filter?

Could I just use {$page} of something? what can I place next to {children-of:}.

Just enter the path to the page, or prefix it with children-of: to get the children of the path you entered.

Thanks @buzzomatic. I'm trying this field with Multilingual field and Language Redirect.. and I think there is a conflict somewhere.. whenever I include any breadcrumb related elements into the Datasource, it removes the language redirect event from my xml and hence breaking page rendering.. it just throws a page does not exist error.

EDIT

Just to clarify, is it possible to output a tree like path to a page created from a section? i.e if in the Section I have a breadcrumb trail of home/about/me I could filter using the breadcrumb field and match this on the front end by typing home/about/me? Cos if I go any deeper than 1 level at present I get page does not exist error.. could this be anything to do with the fact that we have /s in our filter and Symphony don't like them if their not physical pages or something?

EDIT

Also, is the Breadcrumb field data available for the reflection field? I can't seem to resolve the field to show anything from my breadcrumb field into it.

I've been using this on a few production projects (I know I know, but this is the most comprehensive way to test things right? :P ) and haven't had any issues at all, apart from the 'tree' DS field output not working.

One thing I can't figure out how to do, is how to have a default homepage.

My setup is very basic. A single symphony page, with the breadcrumb field to build the rest of the site from a single section. I'm filtering the DS by using the $current-url page parameter on the breadcrumb field, and I'm using the Improved Page Resolve extension to get rid of the name of the containg page.

This is all fine and dandy, except when someone visits http://example.com/, as $current-url is simply /, and so the filtering fails. What I want it to do is just filter the page titled 'Home' in this situation.

I tried some fallback ds param filtering stuff like {$current-url:home} but this doesn't work.

As a work-around, I've just set up multiple page url params like: first/second/third/, and then filtering the title of the pages section by this: {$third:$first:$second:home} which is working ok, but it means I'm arbitrarily limited by how many url params I fill out.

@Henry isnt there an extension called root page params which would allow you to place exactly that.. the params your after onto the / root page.

I'd be interested in knowing more about your setup as this is indeed a great way to build pages that clients can create from a section.. How are you providing a navigation using this method?

Thanks, I tried out Root Page Params, but I think it only accomplishes a similar thing to Improved Page Resolve which I was already using. I did a bit more digging into how Symphony is parsing the params. I really want to use $current-path as it will always have the full path. The issue is that when there is no page specified, $current-path still has a value of / which means the datasource filtering doesn't jump to my backup value of home. A simple custom event which adds a new param to the pool based on the existing $current-path. Some logic will simply return null if the value of $current-path is /. If I use this new param to filter the DS, then it should just fall back to home and everyone will be happy. In theory anyway.

I'm dynamically building the navigation based purely on the breadcrumb field structure. I have two datasources: one for general navigation, and one for the current page.

Things like breadcrumbs simply work off the current page. The main navigation (including drop downs, custom urls etc) works off both datasources. All the magic happens in the XSLT really.

I've also been easily able to do secondary navigation such as persistent table-of-contents sidebar things, which show direct children of the current top level item, no matter which child item you are viewing or how deep in the tree it is.

Once I get this working and clean up the site a bit I might release it as an ensemble, as I'm really happy with how flexible and usable it has proven to be.

That sounds awesome Henry, Cremol made an ensemble with entry based pages and navigation from the same DS's but in the url there was no child paths.. i.e domain.com/parent/child/actual-page/

Does your solution deal with this at all?

Thanks, just curious to others approaches