Search

Nick, I’ve installed the Mac OS version of Graphviz, but I’m not understanding any of this. The software I’m using doesn’t open .gv files!? It uses .dot files instead.

I’ve tried changing the file extension for the exported file and I don’t get anything like your diagrams, just a few lines and a lot of numbers starting with ‘s’…

Any insight?

From here? I’m using version 2.26 (2.26.3) which opens and parses the .gv files no problem.

Heya Nick, thanks for your reply…

I don’t know what’s up then, that’s the version I’m using but I get the error in the attachment when I try and open the file…

Looks like I’m going to have to do some reading about graphviz then…

Attachments:
Screen shot 2010-08-09 at 22.09.51.png

Could you attach the troublesome .gv file to your post and I’ll see if I can open it up my end. Or if it’s sensitive then email to nick at nick-dunn.co.uk.

When changing the file extension to .dot this is all I get…

Attachments:
designermonkeycouk-20100809-1.jpg

Well that’s something, at least it’s parsing the file! Sounds like something is getting messed up. Could you send it over and I’ll try and piece it together.

Thanks for your help Nick, I know it’s not your software ;)

I’ve attached the original .gv file, like I say though, I have to change it to .dot for graphviz to parse it…

Attachments:
designermonkeycouk-20100809.gv

I can open the .gv file in my Graphviz no problem.

Graphviz

There is the small problem of the random “s11” appearing at the top, which I think is when a section, field or relationship isn’t properly resolved. I’ll look into that. Is Type in User Types linked to something else?

I sussed out why the Users section isn’t displaying. Ampersands! Open the .gv file in a text editor and remove the ampersand from Username & Password and see if that makes a difference. With that fix I can render the whole diagram properly.

I appreciate the staying up late Nick :)

And…. I uninstalled Graphviz and have spent the last ten mins searching trhough my /usr/local dir for any reference to graphviz binaries etc, and deleted them. Then reinstalled…

Now it works… I don’t know what happened, must have been a corrupt install!

Thanks very much for your help! Sleep time for me now :)

PS…

Is there going to be support for the Member Link field in a future release? Or are you going to wait for the official release of Members?

I don’t think it’s direct support for Member Link, more that I just need to escape ampersands in field titles. I’ll issue a patch later on today.

Glad you got it working in the end :-)

Hi Nick.

It seems that this plugin clashes with jQuery Date Picker. From what I can tell, it’s something to do with 2 versions of jQuery being loaded? To put it bluntly, which extension is at fault, theirs or yours? :P

Also —- out of curiosity —- what is the point of this CSS rule in erd.css?

ul#usr { display:none; }

Cheers

Most likely mine, I think it still loads the jQuery library from the days before Symphony bundled it in itself. It needs updating.

That CSS hides the Symphony footer since it was conflicting and I couldn’t “clear” it.

That CSS hides the Symphony footer since it was conflicting and I couldn’t “clear” it.

Well just FYI I commented out the rule and everything seems normal to me :)

Thanks as always for your quick replies!

It seems that this plugin clashes with jQuery Date Picker. From what I can tell, it’s something to do with 2 versions of jQuery being loaded?

I’ve changed it a while ago so it doesn’t need the additional jQuery package. I’ve sent a pull-request to Nick at that time, seems like he just didn’t have the time to merge them. :-)

Entity Diagram updated to version 1.4.1 on 27th of August 2010

Super :D

Entity Diagram updated to version 1.4.3 on 29th of November 2010

Entity Diagram updated to version 1.4.4 on 5th of February 2011