Search

I forgot that I had tried creating some native events to replace the Forum extension events for another test ensemble. So I had the mistaken impression that some events were missing.

Regarding the RoleManager::fetch call, you were spot on. The role ID was not being properly retrieved. Thanks, brendo.

I haven't had a chance to run through all the scenarios (I've only tested the Administrator role, so far), but it seems the Forum ensemble is working quite well now.

git clone --recursive --branch core git://github.com/domain7/sym-forum-ensemble.git

Edit: @XBleed was right. I had posted far too quickly, without testing the git clone command. I fixed the clone URL and pushed the missing workspace branch commits. Sorry for the inconvenience.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but it should actually be /sym-forum-ensemble.git, rather than just forum.git?

When checking out branch core from sym-forum-ensemble, this error popped up:

fatal: reference is not a tree: 85b8998737deb752249a9413faf08012ecdc4522
Unable to checkout '85b8998737deb752249a9413faf08012ecdc4522' in submodule path 'workspace'

And I'm assuming as a result of this error, the workspace directory seems to be empty? It looks like it's empty if I just download a .tar/zip from github as well.

Thanks for updating this though, I'm curious to see how this is working with the Members extension.

@XBleed, thanks for setting me straight. I updated the clone URL and pushed the missing workspace branch commits.

I just added a fix to set the activation and default roles. It's probably safest to reinstall. If you've already installed, delete all tables in the database and remove the files created during the install process:

sudo rm -rf .htaccess install-log.txt manifest

Then, update the repositories by running the following commands in the root of the install:

git pull origin core
git submodule update

And install the ensemble. Now the Inactive role should be set when a member registers and the Member role should be set when the member activates.

I did some more testing and debugging, this time with the Member role. I fixed deleting and updating read discussions.

There are still a couple features that I haven't yet figured out how to reintroduce from the old alpha version of the ensemble:

• The filtered view of the discussions shows only discussions that are owned by the logged in member. The original implementation also displays discussions that the logged in member has commented on.
  • The Who's Online custom data source needs some work to be able to add that feature back in.

If anyone is an expert in SQL, let me know if these items are something that you can help with. Other than those two items, it looks like everything is in working order. And if there are no other issues, I will release the ensemble as beta and provide a ZIP for download.

@bauhouse: look at the forums I have made http://www.fun-plus.net/forums/ It has many features seenable on features link

The only thing that is missing is deleting entries cos isn't possible yet on symphony through events (without coding custom event) as far as I know. I have adopted instead to put topics on trash can (logical remove).

The site is a community one and has now as main extensions :

• members
  • eventEx
  • Email template manager

Actually, it is possible to delete entries with a custom event. In the Forum ensemble, there are a couple GET variables which will trigger an event to check the permissions for the logged in member. If the member role has the permissions to remove the discussion or comment, the discussion or comment will be removed.

While the code to delete entries is not trivial, it is possible.

@bauhaus, hope that you still working on the ensemble. it would be super-useful. can i help in testing or something else? where should i start?

Ah. Some interest.

I am actually using the forum in several different ensembles and it appears to be functioning quite well. However, I was uncomfortable releasing it in its current condition, because it still uses the ASDC (Advanced Symphony Database Connector) extension and I was hoping to figure out how to decouple it from that before releasing it.

Unfortunately, my summer has been a wash, and I've not had time to revisit it. But I'm happy to release what I have in its various forms. One version is part of a generic project delivery system as a sort of Basecamp replacement. Another is part of a CRM tool. And the other is the system that we are using at our agency for our intranet. Sadly, the forum has not been used much because of the missing notifications piece.

I was able to get notifications working, but at the cost of not being able to track new and read forum discussions, since it bypassed using the bundled events that come with the Forum extension.

If you're willing to try out a very rough beta, I'd be happy to release it as is. And if you are willing to help out, there's lot's to work on.

Because of a seeming lack of interest here and a lack of time, I've lost a little motivation. But I have been working on it when I get a chance.

For anyone who is interested in the current state of the Forum Ensemble, it works just fine, but is not in the condition I would want it in for a release.

git clone --recursive --branch core git://github.com/domain7/sym-forum-ensemble.git forum

Test it out and let me know if you have any comments or suggestions. Or even better, fork it, add your own features, and submit a pull request.

@bauhaus, count me in. Not a php expert, but have some free time to dig into. It'll be handy if you post all current issues on github.

I'm working on russian symphony's promo/community site, and the forum is integral part of such a project.

Stephen, have you got a list of things that need fixing/changing to get this to release state?

About ADSC - i think we can leave it as is, becouse it 1) works just fine 2) requires decent php skills to refactor extension code.

@bauhaus:

I was able to get notifications working, but at the cost of not being able to track new and read forum discussions, since it bypassed using the bundled events that come with the Forum extension.

Don't get it. What kind of notifications?

@designermonkey, I have a list in mind, but not formally. Perhaps, I can release a beta and we can make a list of issues.

@ixi, regarding notifications, what I meant was that our team is not accustomed to checking the forum on a regular basis as the members of this community might be on the Symphony forum. So, one way to let people know that there has been some activity on the intranet forum would be to have the option to send email messages with the Email Template Manager extension to those who have subscribed to notifications for the discussion thread.

If you wanted to, and I'd be happy to try and help out

@bauhouse, i see. it's required, of course. already saw discussion in this thread.. event mechanics seems to be a bit shady for me, but i'm trying to figure it out.

in the current version of ensemble, there is no notifications, but i can't see that tracking of new/red discussion works either.

also under 'my discussions' filter meant to be threads user replied to, but they aren't listed.

another feature that required is categories.

also under 'my discussions' filter meant to be threads user replied to, but they aren't listed.

ops, this feature works for me now.. i've updated php to 5.3, maybe that fixed some errors. sorry for false report.

@Aliminium, your implementation of forum looks good. is it open-source project?

hi there,

is it possible to update a symphony 2.1 site running this forum ensemble to say 2.2 and above? or is this a definitive no-go? ;)

thanks,
daniel

It is possible, but there will likely be some extensions that need to be updated at the same time. I'm running an updated and modified version of the forum ensemble as part of the Builders Collective ensemble (which is a stripped down version of our agency intranet).

It's been a while since I've been through this process, so let me see if I can recall what I've done and I can possibly walk you through it, or better yet, I can finally get around to updating this ensemble myself.