Search

I really like the way you can order the entries 'drag and drop' style with this extension.
But it seems like this extension does not go well with lot's of entries, because all entries need to be loaded in the overview for this extension to work right?
Well i got 2500 (and growing) entries, so it takes really long for the overview page to load with order entries enabled.
I tried combining this extension with the 'infinite scroll' extensions but they don't seem to go well together (browser freezes)
So my question is; what would be best practice for ordering entries with this amount of entries?

I suppose my question would be... why would you need drag and drop re-ordering with 2500+ entries? What is your use case?

What is your use case?

It's a catalog and sometimes a product needs to move one ore two position's up or down in the list
Or a new product needs to be inserted at a certain position.
I am currently filtering on system id and 95% is ordered correctly. But sometimes there needs to be some fine tuning in the position of product subgroups.
So it's not needed to drag an item all the way from the bottom to top of a 2500+ list, but only some subtle changes in position.
In the client's perspective a drag and drop functionalty for this would be ideal i guess.
So if somehow this extension is able to work with pagination would be ideal
If not, i would like to know if there would be some kind of alternative approach for manualy ordering?

So if somehow this extension is able to work with pagination would be ideal

Cool, that was the answer I was hoping for! I was worried you'd want to drag an entry from position 1 down to position 2488, which doesn't make much sense. You can choose to show the field in your publish forms, which will let you set a custom order. It will default to the highest number. If two fields share the same order number I'm not quite sure which will be fetched first! But it'll still work.

Adding support for pagination shouldn't be too difficult. It will need to be another option in the field setup, perhaps a checkbox to enable/disable table pagination. If pagination is enabled, then you would only be able to drag an entry within the entries on that page. So if you were viewing entries 1-20, you could only drag entries between these positions.

I don't have time in the next few weeks, but will add it as a todo.

I assumed loading all entries would be essential for this extension to work somehow
But if not it would be great it you could re-add the pagination!
Actually, to me it seems more logical to have default pagination as usual and make an option to not paginate...
I can do without the pagination for now, but looking forward to your update, thanks!

Hi,

I just downloaded this extension but it seems the extension_driver.php doesn't have the 'about' function...

Thanks

I've uploaded this extension, but its not showing up in the extensions list..

Could the problem be that I'm using Symphony 2.0.6, and based my ensemble on the Piano Sonnata ensemble available on this site.

I would really like to use this extension.

This version should be compatible with Symphony 2.0.6: https://github.com/nickdunn/order_entries/zipball/1.9.5

Please remember that 2.0.6 is a really old Symphony version that has bugs and that most of the extensions will not have the latest feature set. I'd suggest updating your install to Symphony 2.3.

Also, the Piano Sonata ensemble has been recently updated to work with 2.3 by Stephen.

Hey Nils and and alpacaaa,

Is one of those features the drag and drop functionality? Because it doesn't seem to work. When I save my data source now I get the following error, but it still saves.

Fatal error: Call to undefined method Symphony::Engine() in /home/spartner/publichtml/extensions/orderentries/fields/field.order_entries.php on line 94

I'm afraid other stuff will stop working if I update..

hi,

i'm using symphony 2.3.1 and the "order entries" extension doesn't seem to be working. when i drag-n-drop the order changes, but when i check the xml in the debugger the order has not changed. the same is said for manually typing in the new order numbers.

any ideas what the problem could be?

Have you sorted your datasource by the order entries field?

@cremol: thanx for the tip. i overlooked that setting. it works now.

On a page listing projects each project is displayed with an image (each project has many images). Currently I output all images of each project, sorted by their order entries field, and only the first one is used by my xml. I would now like to narrow down my datasource to only one image per project. I have: section and datasource projects section and datasource project-images (ds sorted by order entries field) I tried to filter the ds project-images to order entries value 1 but this wont work: In quite a few cases order entries starts with 2 (I guess because I deleted an image) and I cannot expect the users to check the order entries numbers.

Can I filter a datasourse in such a way that I get that image of each project which has the lowest order entries number?

I haven't tested it but try filtering the order entires like this:

mysql: value >= 1

I assume you also have a filter on the datasource so that is only returns images for a particular project?

Then limit the return value to 1 in the pagination section. That should return one image that has the lowest order entry.

Oh, forgot to say as well to order the entries by entry order ascending

Just reread your question @mprofitl and I'm not sure what I suggested would work for you. In fact I think I have run into this problem before as well.

There was 2 solutions that I ended up using in different cases but neither were ideal but I thought I'd share them here if your interested.

1. Have an extra image upload field in the gallery section which holds the gallery preview image.
  2. Add a checkbox field to the images section something like "use as gallery preview image"

I'd be interested to here how other people tackle this problem.

Can I filter a datasourse in such a way that I get that image of each project which has the lowest order entries number?

Wouldn't a simple pagination setting of size 1 solve this? Having the project image datasource sorted ascending by order entry.

EDIT: Nah, sorry, we are talking about a projects list to display. And a common image datasource is returning images for all of them. Is that right?

Yes, davecoggins and juro, I cannot use pagination in the ds and limit to one as I have one single section for all project images. I need to get one entry returned per project, all coming from that one image section.

Using an additional field or a checkbox would be a way, yes. It is however a workaround that requires extra work for the editors while I'd like this to be automated. Thanks for both ideas anyway!