Search

I’m a pretty big fan of CSS frameworks for production. I build and maintain a lot of university sites and having them all have similar structured CSS allows my team and myself be able to edit and add to existing sites without too much trouble.

I do agree with Andy about creating your own framework. I’ve done that with a mix of my stuff, Blueprint and the 960 grid. I really want to start using CSSscaffold and generate custom grids for sites but still keep a similar system.

Thanks for working on Fluid960!

I know you mentioned in the other thread that it’s difficult, but this would be brilliant if it were possible to nest grids, or at least somehow easily manage the location of div’s inside blocks. Is there any possible way to do this? I’d like to use it for prototyping a project, and the lack of nesting seems to be a bit of a limitation :(.

Cheers

Nesting with a framework like this is a very difficult thing to achieve and will take away from the simplicity that it offers.

I played with nesting this framework a long time ago, and failed miserably.

I’m playing with Stephen’s framework in the Markup Library, to make it more extensible, and nestable, and then I’m going to try making it fluid. I can’t say when I will have achieved this though…

Fixed margin widths and nesting are a couple of reasons I tried another solution for grids. I found that Nicole Sullivan’s grid system for OOCSS to be much more flexible. I’ve been building a HTML style guide with a library of content modules to use for prototyping at Domain7. I’ve not had time to test and debug the content modules for a fluid version yet and there’s some IE testing to do.

If you’re interested, I can push this to GitHub.

Have you guys found any good solutions to rounding inconsistencies with approaches like OOCSS?

The idea of nested, fluid columns is attractive, but I’ve had problems with inconsistent column widths across many browsers. In what little testing I’ve done, IE8 and Firefox are the only ones that regularly use 100% of the container width. IE6&7 show very small (1px) errors, Chrome and Safari (Windows) get up to about 12px, and Opera (OMG!) a whopping 48px (960px - 16 columns).

A pixel-tight design would take some tinkering, and that somewhat defeats the point of context-agnostic column classes. :(

Firefox does fluid widths well. WebKit is indeed annoying in rounding down pixel widths. IE6+7 seem to round pixel widths up. I’ve found that applying a negative left margin on the column widths works as a bandaid for IE. And I’ve given up on overflow: hidden as a clearing technique. Easy clearing is far and away the more predictable, less buggy solution.

I would be interested in a 24-column version as well. Anyone done this yet?

A 24-column version? Well, Webkit has trouble with rounding down column widths of fluid columns. So, I’m not sure how well it would work. Firefox should be okay.

I suppose it’s time I took another look at the changes Nathan Smith has added since I last looked at the 960 Grid System.

I’m not sure if this is deliberate or not, but when nesting grids block-level elements aren’t rendered. I’ve tested this in both FF and Chrome without success.

I made a fork of my own in Github, sorry about the personal email Stephen, I panicked! I’ve pushed all the jquery into one file and added checks to see if they exist in the page before firing the script. I have further amendments I would like to incorporate as well as cleaning up some of the markup. You can see my initial efforts here

Hi, I am trying to use the section menu and I want all submenus closed by default. How is that possible?

Thanks

niel

download fail :(

If anyone is still interested in nesting, I was able to work it out with minimal modification to the original code. I will post the link to my working website as soon as it's up. Until then I have attached the basic skeleton code.

The key for me was to remember that I was working in percentages. So if I subdivide a 16 column container into 13 & 3 then drop into the 13 and want to nest, I have to work in terms of 16 because 16 = 100%. That's why my first nesting inside the 13 splits the "cell" into 10 & 6. I hope that's somewhat clear, and I hope it helps those who need it. Of course if anyone finds an issue with it please let me know.

And a big thank you to Steve for the framework!

Attachments:
960.html

Thanks for working on nesting. I look forward to seeing your working site.

And a big thank you to Steve for the framework!

You're welcome. :-)

Hi there. I'm trying to integrate the fluid 960 system with a wordpress template. It's going pretty well, but a minor hiccup:

I'm trying to use the accordion feature, and I can get the box to close by clicking the title of the accordion, however after it "slides up", my title (link) disappears and is no longer clickable - therefore my accordion cannot slide down again.

Any hints?

@toxicriptide, this is the Symphony CMS forum. Talk in this thread has to do with the implementation of a fluid 960 grid in Symphony CMS.

@Lewis, I understand that. However, the fluid 960 homepage sent me here for the "discussion", so I figured it would be the best way to get in contact with the creators/knowledgeable people of 960. It's not really a wordpress question anyway. If you have a better place for me to ask, let me know. Thanks!

Hi all, just looking at the below example of the fluid 960 grid, the boxes do not collapse/expand in IE9. It does work perfect on Firefox.

I like the design and wanted to use it as a basis for a site design. Can anyone give me some direction on how to solve this?

http://www.designinfluences.com/fluid960gs/

My apologies if this post is not in the appropriate thread. The above site refers to this forum for discussion.

Kind regards, MRN

I apologize to those who have been looking for support for the Fluid 960 Grid System, I have not had time to support issues. I should remove the forum link and direct support issues to the GitHub repository.

If you have any questions or comments about the Fluid 960 Grid System in the context of Symphony, feel free to ask away here. But issues with the CSS framework should be added to the GitHub issues tracker. Thanks.

I hope to have time to come back around to this, but I am preparing for a couple events happening this month, so all my time is being concentrated on other priorities at the moment. As always, feel free to fork and fix whatever issues you find.