Search

I like the way the documentation of the Members extension it written and formatted. Maybe it would be a good idea to generally split up readme and documentation files.

The readme could just contain the basic information about an extension:

• author, version number, release date, repository, compatibility (what else is needed?)
  • change log (is there a good example of a well written and layouted change log?)
  • credits (other libraries or co-authors, extensions that have been used as a starting point)

The documentation could then just follow the example of the Members extension an contain everything you need to know to get things running and to learn how to use the extension.

It would be good to keep the README simpler. Perhaps there could be some way of making better use of the GitHub wiki pages: http://wiki.github.com/nilshoerrmann/mediathek. Does anyone know if the wiki pages can be placed under version control?

What if we created a docs directory with docs/README.markdown as the home page. If more pages are needed, they can be added as docs/pagename.markdown.

The OOCSS repository makes good use of the wiki pages for documentation: http://wiki.github.com/stubbornella/oocss

A limitation is that pages are listed alphabetically.

I just pushed some changes to the beta tree of the Mediathek and created a documentation.markdown file.

But a docs directory seems like a good idea, too. I’m not sure about the usage of the GitHub wiki because of two reasons:

• I’m not convinced that the extensions will always be made available via GitHub so things should stay accessible.
  • I think GitHub’s wiki feature is far from perfect - it might complicate things.

Bauhouse: If you like to contribute to the documentation feel free to fork the repository and add things.

I agree on both counts. I’ll fork and contribute.

I’ll add a third to your list of reasons not to use Githubs wiki:

• I do a fair amount of development on the hoof (I spend two hours daily on trains) and having documentation offline in text files is invaluable to me

Thanks guys, this is very helpful as we plan the new extensions section of the site…

I just got the latest update from Github, replaced my old mediathek folder with the files in it. And now no image information is added to the DS. I just get an empty node in the XML. But in Symphony’s backend, there are images selected.

Where should I look for errors?

Edit: Btw, in the section settings, both the title and image fields are selected to be included in the DS.

@thoresson: Have you been updating from a version pre 2.0 or have you been replacing old beta code with new one?

In the first case this is a bug which should be posted on the bug tracker on GitHub. In the second case this might be related to some fundamental changes in the beta code - you will have to uninstall (not disable) the extension and start again from scratch (sorry about that!).

Edit: Btw, in the section settings, both the title and image fields are selected to be included in the DS.

Can you elaborate, please.

Sorry. I misread your instructions. Did just disable, not uninstall. Re-read and re-did. Now everything works as expected. Thanks for a great extension.

FWIW, if you’re still soliciting feedback for your “beta” period, I’ve been using this for several weeks and everything is working beautifully. Thanks!

I just ran into an issue of removing the Field from my Section after unistalling then reinstalling/enabling the extension. My original Field (before uninstall) still existed after reinstalling. When I went into make my entry, the text wouldn’t show up that’s when I removed then added back in the Field. Text started showing up after that, but now I can’t see any images. Didn’t they show up after uploading them before?

I just ran into an issue of removing the Field from my Section after unistalling then reinstalling/enabling the extension. My original Field (before uninstall) still existed after reinstalling.

If you uninstall the Mediathek extension two tables will be dropped:

1. sym_fields_mediathek and
  2. sym_fields_mediathek_sorting

Can you check if these tables really have been deleted?
The related entries in sym_entry_data_FIELDID should be dropped automatically by Symphony.

I sometimes run into problems with uninstalling fields in Symphony when I forgot to delete the field in all sections first. Maybe there is something wrong behind the curtains of the core.

When I went into make my entry, the text wouldn’t show up that’s when I removed then added back in the Field. Text started showing up after that, but now I can’t see any images. Didn’t they show up after uploading them before?

I’m sorry, but I can’t follow. What text are you talking about?

How do i find the sym_entry_data_FIELDID value?

When I went into make my entry, the text wouldn’t show up that’s when I removed then added back in the Field. Text started showing up after that, but now I can’t see any images. Didn’t they show up after uploading them before?

me neither =)

Here are a couple more though: I’m not seeing the + button on the right hand side after uploading an image and I also can’t drag my images into my text field. Does it matter that i’m using the Typogrify + Markdown text formatter?

I can drag and sort them within the area, but can’t drag outside it.

Could you post a screenshot, please?

Concerning the dragging:

1. Dragging and dropping items is only possible for those items that have files or images attached.
  2. If it’s not working for items that have files or images attached and if you don’t see the preview icon, the javascript is likely to fail: all file and image related information is loaded in an AJAX request.

Do you get any error in your javascript console?

It sound like something really screwed up while uninstalling the extension.

How do i find the sym_entry_data_FIELDID value?

If the old sym_fields_mediathek and sym_fields_mediathek_sorting have been dropped correctly or replaced with new data (as you reinstalled the extension) you have no direct way to find the field id anymore.

Try if deleting your browser cache solves the problem. If not:
Is it possible that you uninstall the extension again?

• Go to the database an look up sym_fields_mediathek for the current id of your Mediathek field.
  • Go to the extension overview in the backend and uninstall the extension.
  • Make sure that there are no errors logged in the Symphony log.
  • Make sure that sym_fields_mediathek and sym_fields_mediathek_sorting have been dropped.
  • Make sure that sym_entry_data_FIELDID has been dropped.
  • Step back for a moment and relax.
  • Delete the Mediathek folder.
  • Upload a fresh version from GitHub.
  • Install the extension again.

Here’s a screengrab of what the mediathek area looks like on first load:

mediathek

and yes, i am getting some JS errors. I use Safari, so I’m still not used to needing to check for that type of stuff since FireBug displays that at the bottom of the browser window. here are the errors:

These happen on page load:
/symphony/assets/jquery.js:19XHR finished loading: "http://www.whatthedale.com/symphony/extension/mediathek/lang/?CLOSE=Close&CREATE=Create+New&EDIT=Edit&EMPTY=There+are+currently+no+items+selected.&ERRORRELOAD=An+error+occured+while+trying+to+select+the+new+item.+Please+reload+the+page.&ERRORMANUALLY=An+error+occured+while+trying+to+add+the+new+item.+Please+reload+the+page+and+select+the+new+item+manually.&LOADING=Loading+Data+%26%238230%3B&NEW=New+Entry+%23&RESET=Reset&RESETENTRY=Reset+this+entry&SEARCH=type+and+search". /symphony/assets/jquery.js:19XHR finished loading: "http://www.whatthedale.com/symphony/extension/mediathek/caption/".

This happens when trying to drag and drop:
/extensions/mediathek/assets/mediathek.js:326TypeError: Result of expression 'ui.helper.find('a.attachment').attr('class')' [undefined] is not an object.

I know the files are uploading to my server b/c when I go into my images section, they are all there.

I use Safari, so I’m still not used to needing to check for that type of stuff since FireBug displays that at the bottom of the browser window.

Have you enabled the debug menu in Safari? The Inspector is really great and works similar to Firebug.

The first entries in the log are correct:

/symphony/assets/jquery.js:19XHR finished loading: http://www.whatthedale.com/symphony/extension/mediathek/lang/?CLOSE=Close&CREATE=Create+New&EDIT=Edit&EMPTY=There+are+currently+no+items+selected.&ERRORRELOAD=An+error+occured+while+trying+to+select+the+new+item.+Please+reload+the+page.&ERRORMANUALLY=An+error+occured+while+trying+to+add+the+new+item.+Please+reload+the+page+and+select+the+new+item+manually.&LOADING=Loading+Data+%26%238230%3B&NEW=New+Entry+%23&RESET=Reset&RESETENTRY=Reset+this+entry&SEARCH=type+and+search”. 

First the mediathek receives the interface language strings.

/symphony/assets/jquery.js:19XHR finished loading: “http://www.whatthedale.com/symphony/extension/mediathek/caption/”.

This loads the custom captions. This seems to work just fine. But as your screenshot does not show up the preview icon (the plus sign) something is wrong as the preview link contains information that is needed while dragging and dropping (the class name as mentioned in the log).

What are your caption settings for the field?

My caption settings are: {$project} - {$description}, both of which have been included in the Included elements option.

Side note, how did you do the formatting with the overflow above?