Search

They are utf8 and I’ve never played with them so they are UTF8 since database was created.

Unfortunately I think your database server settings override this. So if your MySQL server was set to latin1 or similar then this will be inherited when you create new tables, regardless of what Symphony wants.

Stuuupiiiiid server! It’s a sad news but I can still change encoding of russian fields directly in a database (fortunately, there are not so many of them).

The worse problem is that Symphony can’t send UTF8 russian characters properly to the database.

It’s not a server’s fault. I see that core Symphony fields like those in sym_author table have UTF8 charset. Multilingual field doesn’t specify a charset when creating a table and that’s why server uses default latin2.

Symphony requires that your database collation is set to UFT-8 (e.g. utf8_general_ci).

I have to admit this is not mentioned in the README. I will file an issue for this.

[EDIT]: Issue #556

Yesss michael-e, that’s it!

I’ve changed database CHARSET and COLLATION and all text field’s charsets as well (to UTF-8 of course). Now it works fine.

The problem is that when database is set to latin2, the query sent to a database is treated as a latin2 text and UTF-8 texts are not handled correctly. When I changed database CHARSET and COLLATION to utf-8, then I got errors, because strings in query where in UTF-8 and those in database were in Latin2 (multilingual fields). So, I had to change all multilingual fields to UTF-8. Life is better now ;)

It’s a VERY IMPORTANT issue to remember that database CHARSET and COLLATION should be UTF-8 to make Mutlilingual field work properly.

Multilingual Field updated to version 1.3 on 13th of February 2011

• Symphony 2.2 compatibility
  • Language Redirect 1.0.1 compatibility

Fatal error: Call to undefined method Symphony::Engine()

I think the update to add Symphony 2.2 compatibility broke Symphony 2.1.2 compatibility? Guess I’ll have to update Symphony or install an earlier version (along with an earlier and compatible version of the Language Redirect extension).

@bewildergeist: Yes, I think so.

Can I downgrade the extension while it is installed and enabled by simply replacing the contents of extensions/multilingual_field?

I’d rather not upgrade my Symphony installation to 2.2 at this point, but because Symphony 2.1.2 support has been broken by the most recent update to the extension, I need to downgrade to the version at commit 20be9f8. I can’t disable or uninstall the extension because the field is attached to my sections, which I am in the process of translating. Will something break if I simply replace the extension files on disk while the extension is installed and enabled?

@bewildergeist: Replace the files without uninstalling the extension shold work.

Hi guillem_l, I come from Italy and I’m new of Symphony. I have a very simple question: how can I display in my webpage two links that allow me to choose the language I preferr, and so display the content only in this specific language?

Really thank you for your support.

Andrea

Hi Andrea and welcome!

I usually do something like this…

In the master utility I define some parameters.

<xsl:param name="supported-languages" select="/data/events/language-redirect/supported-languages/item/@handle"/>
<xsl:param name="current-language" select="/data/events/language-redirect/current-language/@handle"/>
<xsl:param name="language-root">
    <xsl:choose>
        <xsl:when test="$current-language != ''">
            <xsl:value-of select="concat($root,'/',$current-language)"/>
        </xsl:when>
        <xsl:otherwise>
            <xsl:value-of select="$root"/>
        </xsl:otherwise>
    </xsl:choose>
</xsl:param>

Then I have a language menu template. Your markup may vary. And in this template I only create links to the language root, but you can transform the current path if you need to and e.g. just swap the language code part.

<xsl:template name="language-menu">
    <p id="language-menu">
        <xsl:for-each select="$supported-languages">
            <xsl:choose>
                <xsl:when test=". = $current-language">
                    <span><xsl:value-of select="."/></span>
                </xsl:when>
                <xsl:otherwise>
                    <a href="{$root}/{.}/"><xsl:value-of select="."/></a>
                </xsl:otherwise>
            </xsl:choose>
            <xsl:if test="not(position() = last())">
                <xsl:text>/</xsl:text>
            </xsl:if>
        </xsl:for-each>
    </p>
</xsl:template>

Then it’s just a matter of calling the language menu template.

<xsl:call-template name="language-menu"/>

Thank you klaftertief! I want to discover the beautiful world of Symphony :)

Hi guys. I'm having some troubles using TinyMCE as a formatter in a multilingual field. I get an error when saving an entry containing special characters like ñ or á (in whatever language I try):

'test' contains invalid XML. The following error was returned: loadXML(): Entity 'ntilde' not defined in Entity, line: 1

'test' contains invalid XML. The following error was returned: loadXML(): Entity 'aacute' not defined in Entity, line: 1

'test' is the field's name.

My setup:

Symphony 2.2 Multilingual Field: 1.3 Rich Text (TinyMCE) Text Formatter: 2.0

Any thoughts on this?

Thanks, Juan

@jauanformos: Hola Juan, that seem there are a problem with the html encode of this characters with tinnyMCE, I will take a look at this as soon as possible.

Gracias Guille! :)

OFF TOPIC: ¿De qué parte de España sos? Yo estuve por España en diciembre del 2010, en Lugo, Santiago, Madrid, Barcelona y Palma de Mallorca. Hermoso. Y el mejor jamón crudo del mundo! ( Of what part of Spain are you from? I went to Spain in December 2010. I've been to Lugo, Santiago, Madrid, Barcelona and Palma de Mallorca. Beautiful. And the best ham in the world! )

@guillem

Have you recently modified the extension? (after the 2.2 compatibility). There is an issue where it loads the assets even though there is no need to. See this thread.

Thanks.

Hi Guillem,

basically I have the same issue as the guy above. Just updated symphony to 2.2 and I am having an issue where JS & CSS assets are being loaded both when editing & creating new pages. (as expected) but also when there is a list of Order Entries I believe. Unfortunately the JS is not working in such case as it is being loaded out of context and breaking all other extensions making use of Javascript since these would not run to the above error.

I am not sure if it is something to do with how symphony calls displayPublishPanel or the plugin itself...

I'm new to symphony so I would really appriciate some help here

Thanks

Hi! Sorry for missing this messages, I was ending a project and I was offline from this forum for a while. I hope to have some time to update the extension next day and fix all this problems. Stay tuned ;-)!

@vladG: thank's for all your support!