Search

@theBigMandarino: use the last version of the extension, just fixed a bug that affect to the frontend submit data when only submit values for 1 language.

Added the correct markup example in the events generation.

@guillem_l: thank you very much for both your help and the fix, now it works like a charm!

Hi @guillem_l

Is it possible to have one language required, and the other optional?

As of now, I need to resort to optional for all fields, as some fields may or may not have English depending on the entry, but all fields must be in Chinese.

Also, another great feature would be localization of the field names.

@Pat: About required issue at this moment it's not possible. Do you have to put all fields as optional if do you want to leave empty some language. I will try to add this feature in the next release.

If do you have excluseive content for each language maybe it's useful to use Language Field with simple text inputs and filter the DS by current language instead of using multilanguage field. It's just an idea.

The localization of field names I think it's more complicated, I think it was discussed in the forum in another posts.

Thanks guillem_l! My solution is to leave everything optional, and then on my page I test if a specific field is empty or not, which tells me if English or Chinese content is available, then hide those portions. It works well still, so no worries!

If localization of field names is not possible, I might have to result to using Javascript replacement. Not sure how to go about that though. I will think about it. :)

Reading earlier in this thread, it was mentioned about localized URL's so "domain.com/en/name-of-page-in-english" and using the redirect extension would allow me to output "domain.com/cy/name-of-page-in-welsh" is this the case with the latest release?

Multilingual Field updated to version 1.4 on 5th of September 2011

Thank you Nitriques for your contribution in this version.

Hi guillem_l, first of all, great extension.

I guess thats the same question that moonoo2 posted earlier. I ran into some trouble, though. I'm currently working on a multilingual site that has sort of a blog. There's a detail view for every blogpost (of course :)), that is filtered by its title. I integrated a site-wide language switch, that simply grabs the current url and replaces its language url parameter. Unfortunately this won't work on the detail pages, because it will filter the previous title handle on the current selected language.

Is there anything I forgot?

@iwyg do you have any sample XSLT of what you are using to filter the blog posts?

@moonoo2 I'm just filtering Entry Detail DS by its title that matches parameter {$handle}.

@iwyg: Do you have the handle in all languages in the multilingual field. Then, you can construct the link of the language switcher href with the value of the handle in each language:

for exemple:

<a
href="{$root}/es/{$current-page}/{//post/entry/title/@handle-es}">Spanish</a>
<a
href="{$root}/en/{$current-page}/{//post/entry/title/@handle-en}">English</a>

yep, I did that as a workarround for the detail pages. But I did hope to get work done by simply grabbing the url string behind the language parameter and replace the lang param with the new one. But this of course will not work for my detail views

<!-- get url string behind language param -->
<xsl:variable name="url-path">
    <xsl:value-of select="substring($current-url, string-length($root) + 5)"/>
</xsl:variable>
     …
     <!-- the langswitch link would be like this -->
     <xsl:value-of select="concat($root, '/', $lang, '/', $url-path)"/>

Does this field when using single line option accept extended character sets?

i.e using w with circumflex returns a "?" cos it can't interpret it. bug?

What I mean is when saving entry in section w^ circumflex is returned as "?" when entry is saved.. not the desired result.

@guillem_l

would it be possible to integrate some sort of fallback option, e.g. if there's no content for the selected language the field will be populated with the content of the default language…

@iwyg: Yes, I have it working in one of my projects. I will push a new version with this in next days, stay tuned ;)!

@moonoo2: I will check...

oh, great :D

Multilingual Field updated to version 1.4.1 on 12th of October 2011

@iwyg: Sorry for the delay, default language values option is added. Now you can specify this behavior in the field definition.

So, I have a problem ..

When I add a Multilingual Text field, with

###### LANGUAGE_REDIRECT ######
'language_redirect' => array(
    'language_codes' => 'de',
),
########

Then it works fine ..

When I try to add more languages, like this

###### LANGUAGE_REDIRECT ######
'language_redirect' => array(
    'language_codes' => 'en, fr, es, de',
),
########

When I go to save the entry, ( even though the section field says Current supported languages: de,en,es,fr ) it produces this error

alt text

I thought that I could just add languages after all of the English content was in.
Was that wrong?

• There is a lot of data in place, does it all have to be re-entered?
  • What if I want to change available languages in the future?

What versions of Language Redirect and MF are you using?