Search

I’m pretty sure the extension has been developed beyond what is currently in the git repository or the difference in functionality is provided by other extensions.

…or the difference in functionality is provided by other extensions.

This is what I was thinking about.

@phoque, I don’t follow, are you receiving an error message? I’ve been trying to work on the member’s extension but I’m trying to figure out something about git and merging…

@phoque, I don’t follow, are you receiving an error message?

No, nothing. The pageAlert simply doesn’t appear…

I’m pretty sure the extension has been developed beyond what is currently in the git repository or the difference in functionality is provided by other extensions.

It sure would be good to know either way, so we don’t potentially waste a lot of time trying to reinvent the wheel.

It sure would be good to know either way, so we don’t potentially waste a lot of time trying to reinvent the wheel.

Nothing substantial has changed. A couple of git merges and some conflict resolving would be all it takes. We’ve done a couple of specific changes for the Symphony site, hence why we don’t have it in it’s own public repository.

Thanks Alistair. Guys, speaking of conflicts… any ideas?

Good to know, Alistair. Thanks. Also, at any time, I’m happy to hand over the reins on this extension, to give credit where credit is due, back to the Symphony Team. But if it helps free up your time to keep being awesome, that’s fine too.

But if it helps free up your time to keep being awesome, that’s fine too.

Unfortunately, or fortunately depending how you look at it, we are very busy being awesome.

No worries. Keep being awesome! Hints would also be awesome:

@michael-e:

A friend of mine signed in to the Symphony website some weeks ago, and – as far as I remember – he received an opt-in email. I do not find this functionality in the members extension. Any hints?

he received an opt-in email. I do not find this functionality in the members extension. Any hints?

Ya Alistair, spill the beans! :-)

I’m working on error checking for the member roles page and installation. As I create a nicer error message for dependencies during installation, is this still true:

The Members extension is dependent on the Advanced Symphony Database Connector (ASDC)

I can’t find where its being called in the members extension.

On the subject of hints, here’s another question (from phoque) I would need to defer to someone who knows:

By the way: is ConfigurationAccessor still needed?

@Lewis, when I got the extension from Alistair, I had no information about dependencies, etc, so I took a look at the extension driver and saw that the ASDC extension was called from the extension driver on line 6:

include_once(DOCROOT . '/extensions/asdc/lib/class.asdc.php');

The extension threw errors until I added the ASDC extension, so I added it as a dependency. Where it is actually used in the Members extension, I don’t know.

By the way: is ConfigurationAccessor still needed?

Well, the code still relies on it - that I know.

the ASDC extension was called from the extension driver on line 6

Cheers, I’ll take a further look.

I’ll have some more changes to send you in a wee bit.

Thanks, Lewis. I did a git pull from your repo:

git checkout -b lewis
git remote add lewis git://github.com/lewiswharf/members.git
git pull lewis master

There was a conflict

From git://github.com/lewiswharf/members
 * branch            master     -> FETCH_HEAD
Auto-merged extension.driver.php
CONFLICT (content): Merge conflict in extension.driver.php
Automatic merge failed; fix conflicts and then commit the result.

But, I was able to resolve the conflict by changing all line endings to Unix style (it seems like all other files are using this type of line ending - LF) and keeping the changes you made in the extension.driver.php file.

Other than that, it’s working a lot better since you’ve made the changes to your global git config settings.

I’ve got the integration branch of the Members extension repo ready for version 1.0.2. If everyone’s good with these changes, I can merge to master.

If you’ve got more changes, keep them coming and I’ll keep integrating.

My last commit replaced the whole file again for the content.roles.php file. I hadn’t noticed it until after I pushed it to github. I’m using Dreamweaver on Windows… hmm.

I just found a preference in Dreamweaver to change the Linebreaks Type which was set to Windows and set it to UNIX. Is there any way to undo my last push? I did a hard reset on my local repository but could not push (which makes sense because it’s behind the github copy), so I pulled again and that’s where I stand at the moment.

Is there any way to undo my last push?

That’s a good question. After yesterdays hiccup with Allen pushing to the wrong repo, I’d be interested in what Alistair did to fix things. Allen tried to add another commit to fix the problem, but that didn’t really fix the repository history. He had committed SQL with his author details in plain view (I can safely say this now, because it looks like Alistair was able to restore the repository to its original state, and these details have been completely removed from the repository’s history. However, anyone who pulled the master repository during that period (like me) would have a copy of these details, so I hope Allen has changed them.)

From what I’ve experienced, once you push to master, it’s much harder to revert than if you pushed to another branch, because deleting the master branch results in some nasty errors in Git, which don’t seem to ever go away. Git is much more forgiving when deleting any of the other branches.

A Git Workflow

Whenever you are developing, use a branch other than master.

git clone git://github.com/bauhouse/members.git

When you clone a repository, the master branch is created automatically. So when you check to see which branch you are on:

git branch

… Git will return a list of the available branches:

* master

Create branches based on the current branch:

git checkout -b integration
git checkout -b dev

Then you can switch between branches:

git checkout master
git checkout integration

Do you development on the development branch:

git checkout dev
git add .
git commit -m "My work on the development branch"

You can push the dev branch to GitHub to see how things are going:

git push origin dev

If you ever totally screw up this branch, just delete it (checkout another branch first, and make sure you salvage whatever you can because once you delete it, it’s gone. There is no undo.):

git checkout integration
git branch -d dev

If you’ve pushed the dev branch to GitHub, the branch will still exist there, so you’ve got to delete it from the remote repository:

git push origin :dev

Then continue on with development by creating the branch again and adding commits (I especially like the -u flag that allows you to add and remove anything that has been updated but has not yet been staged for the next commit):

git checkout dev
git add -u
git commit -m "My work on the development branch"

And you can again test the restored dev repo on GitHub by recreating the branch on the remote repository:

git push origin dev

Then, when you’re happy with these changes, merge them into the integration branch, sort of like staging a website.

git checkout integration
git merge dev
git push origin integration

Once you’re happy with how the integration branch is looking on GitHub (or whatever), then merge the changes into master, ready for anyone else who wants to clone your work.

git checkout master
git merge master
git push origin master