Search

Yup, uninstalling the older version will be useful

Couldn’t you make use of the update() function for cleanup instead of really uninstalling the extension?

Unfortunately I have no idea how to build my proposal from above, and at the moment I don’t find the time to look into it. Does someone else know a simple way to achieve this?

You’ll need to subscribe to two delegate: one that manipulates the output of the section editor and inserts the needed checkbox and another one that catches the save event and stores all changes in the database.

Edit: Have a look at Alistair’s method to manipulate the page output. I used it myself to provide a per user language setting with the localisation manager.

Couldn’t you make use of the update() function for cleanup instead of really uninstalling the extension?

Since you have to remove the fields from all the sections, this would be a bigger undertaking. The update function might be longer that the extension itself. If rainerborene or knupska want to write this, I am happy. But in this special case I think a big UPDATE WARNING would do the job. It should include the following information (workflow):

• this version is not compatible to older versions
  • you have to remove any Static Section fields from your sections
  • write down your static section names for later use in the prefs
  • uninstall the old version
  • install the new version
  • fill in the prefs

Since you have to remove the fields from all the sections

Why should you have to remove the fields form all the sections while using the update function?!

All you want to do is to delete the settings in the database and write these to the config, right?

Why should you have to remove the fields form all the sections while using the update function?!

They must be removed one way or another because the new version doesn’t use fields at all.

Well, couldn’t the update function call the general uninstall function?

Would uninstalling the field remove existing entry fields (from sections)? I don’t think so, but maybe I am completely wrong?

I did some important changes. Check out the new version on my repository! Cheers!

Thank you Nathan, I love this change.

I get a fatal error: call to member function get() on line 99 of extension.driver.php when I try to create a new section.

@pngised Fixed.

@rainerborene: Cool, you are very very close to “win” status! :-)

(The bug is on the GitHub bug tracker.)

Rainer is working very fast. I sent him some more bugs to test his stress resistance.

I am so glad that he finds the time to care for this important extension.

Thanks, Rainer!

@michal-e You’re welcome. Thanks for reporting that bugs.

Collaborating on Symphony project is a pleasure!

@Knupska Could you apply that changes?

@pngised I haven’t made any of my own changes to this extension recently, all of the work has been done by michael-e & rainerborene, I’ve just been dragged along for the ride.

@rainerborene Feel free to take over the extension completely if you would like, as unfortunately I really don’t have the time to care for it like I should (even just simple new commits, since I don’t use git on a daily basis I find it very time consuming whenever I have to step into Symphony’s world).

Does anyone know how I could hand the project over?

@Knupska Please, not necessary. Just add me as a collaborator.

http://github.com/guides/managing-collaborators

Well that was easy, done!

I’ve also updated the extension name in the Symphony library, the name of this thread and I did a quick cleanup of the first post so that it no longer describes the extension as a field.

I still think this would be even more useful if we had two options:

1. Static Section - single entry
  2. Static Section - multiple entries, without ability to create more

Still super with only option #1, though. I’m not complaining!

I’m having an issue with Static Section. I’ve posted an issue on the issue tracker here on Symphony.

Basically, when running 2.0.7RC1 on a web server you can’t create a new section as it generates a warning page, which I’ve attached to the issue.

You can read the full report here.