Search

Out of curiosity, how is it possible to have membership without authentication?

the site is essentially a lead generator, collecting non-personal information (aside from name and email). the client would like to restrict access to the site without have first collected certain details about their workplace. login would simply be an email address, verifying that the user had already submitted that relevant info. it won't be displayed again or edited anywhere on the site.

i'll be damned. you can omit the password field. thanks, mark!

login would simply be an email address, verifying that the user had already submitted that relevant info.

Cool use case.

i'll be damned. you can omit the password field. thanks, mark!

Glad it works :)

Sorry didn't get to this sooner, but looks like you've discovered it anyway. Authentication is a optional field (both in the sense that you don't need it to exist or you don't have to give it a value) in the Members extension for exactly that user case.

I would like to extend it a little further so you can use it to do member onboarding in which you could email a list with their usernames (email addresses) and get them to fill in a password to 'complete' their account. One day :)

Integration branch installation is giving me a MySQL error on Install.

MySQL Error (1064): You have an error in your SQL syntax; check the manual thcorresponds to your MySQL server version for the right syntax to use near ')' at line 3 in query: SELECT SQL_CACHE `s`.* FROM `sym_sections` AS `s` WHERE `s`.`id` IN ()

^ something to do with extension driver.php in Integration version of Members section.

Are you using the Symphony integration branch as well?

I am using solely integration branch.

Am i being a moron?

No, you aren't :) There very well could be a bug in the 'first use' behaviour of the Members extension. Do you have the complete backtrace available for the previous error? It may be useful to find where the bad query is being generated.

Brendan, can I ask how I would choose from within an entry, which Member Roles have access to that specific entry?

Interesting. Well an entry would only be linked to a Role via a Member. So if your entry had a SBL (or similar), you could query that SBL for the related entry ID (which would also be the Member ID). Using the EntryManager/abstraction library, if you loaded that Member ID you could get the value of the Member Role field of that Member.

Hmmm, that's a problem for me then. I need to limit access to certain 'articles' for members of specific roles, so limited users can't see certain things. Like a paywall I guess.

I kind of assumed that I could add the Member Role field into other sections and could match that up to members with the same role.

I'll have to add a new section and SBL and mimic the Member Role names, to match on the handle.

Hi Chaps,

I need to prevent brute-force at the login screen (I'm using the members extension) - before I go off and investigate this I don't suppose there's an easy way to achieve this out-of-the-box?

Cheers,

Nathan

I haven't used it myself yet, but the Anti Brute Force extension description has this in it:

A Facade/Singleton class -ABF- for developers to leverage antibruteforce capabilities (ex.: email reports or use with the member extension)

Sounds serious @DavidOliver - thanks, will check it out.

Please post your findings. I am also interested in that!

I will! Just querying Nitriques now about how to go about using it - the quoted sentence above makes a bit of a whooshing sound.

Handy addition for any site though, so a useful find either way!

Yep, definitely.

How would I go about filtering a 'Members' datasource based on the currently logged in member? Seen as the logged in member event doesn't show any data from the active members section other than the ID.

I'm trying to get the whole activation/welcome email thing to work - but quite frankly I'm stumped.

I'm using Email Template Manager for the templates etc. and have it working fine for the recover password form.

However when it comes to registration I can't work out what I should be doing. On successful registration the response contains nothing to do with activation - so where do I get the code and what do I connect it to to send it via email? It is Friday so I might just be being a bit slow, but I've been clicking around for 30 minutes and haven't gotten anywhere closer to what I'm after.