Search

could we add a link to our personal Web site that would be visible to other forum members

I like that idea.

Yes, I’ve got the logout problem, too.

I actually think this is a problem with Symphony, not so much the forum. The forum uses the Symphony cookie system. I’ve had other reports of this happening, and thankfully this time I am experiencing it as well. Should make it easier to fix. Will keep you posted.

Notice the link to stats. The variables aren’t being parsed.

That would be due to a typo. All fixed.

Here’s a bug for Allen. There are 20 items per page. If you post on a thread which has a multiple of 20 replies, your comment is pushed to the next page but you’re kept on the same page. E.G. 2 pages of comments (40 total). Make a comment, it goes to page 3 (#41) but you’re kept on page 2. Is a little confusing. Might result in multiple posts. I guess if you posted on page != last the same thing might happen?

Alistair nope, not as complex - the logic take care of most except for the “last item on page” edge case. It needed a conditional:

$total-comments mod 20 = 0, then increment $last-page by 1.

Could the lifetime of the login cookie be increased? I have to login every time I visit.

My cookie reads:

Name    PHPSESSID
Value   ekbo3u8mhrrneu0hr15vr0bk90
Host    .getsymphony.com
Path    /
Secure  No
Expires Wed, 20 May 2009 06:50:31 GMT

I just logged in. I’ll see how long it takes to log me out. Could it be some garbage collection on the server? Are you setting an expiration on PHPSESSID, or would it be worth creating a named cookie with expiration?

This might be caused by session “lifetime” on the server (e.g. in Symphony).

I just tried to submit a comment on an existing thread, and on submit, my reply (which was kind of long) disappeared, and the comment window was outlined in red (to indicate an error?) but there was no error message. And like I say, it didn’t re-populate the textarea with my comment. A bit off-putting. I’ll try to get more info if it happens again.

Could the lifetime of the login cookie be increased? I have to login every time I visit.

It should be active for 2 weeks. No sure what’s going on there. Still trying to figure it out.

And like I say, it didn’t re-populate the textarea with my comment.

Bugger. We’ll fix that today.

It should be active for 2 weeks. No sure what’s going on there. Still trying to figure it out.

I have 4 cookies from getsymphony.com with various expiration dates(none expired), but had to just login.

I have 4 cookies from getsymphony.com with various expiration dates(none expired), but had to just login.

Found the problem. The cookie was set to the correct expiration, but the session (stored server side in the database) was using the default 1440 (about 24 minutes). Solution was to add

ini_set('session.gc_maxlifetime', $lifetime);

to the session class. Fingers crossed that’s done it.

Oh, you might need to delete your existing cookies and log in again for the change to take effect.

Apologies Ashooner the textarea should now correctly repopulate with your post data.

Lewis, if the cookie names begin with __utm these are Google Analytics. I had to log in again this morning (since Alistair made the change) but fingers crossed now…

Cookie bug seems to have bee fixed. Awaiting confirmation from others.

It seems like it is possible to insert script tags in forum comments, used by some members to integrate gist or pastie (see here).

Is this an intended behaviour?

Hrm yes, I just added an alert() to my post. Could be an XSS vulnerability.

Things I find irritating in the current forum implementation:

1. The edit button floating over my own posts hiding the content.
  2. The comment number on semi transparent background over the gravatars when jumping to an anchor point. (Why that?)
  3. Australian time in comments, concerning both, the absolute times and the relative times: yesterday in Australia can mean today here in Europe. 9 pm … hm … in what timezone?

Things I don’t like visually:

1. The Admin or Dev Team badges beside the gravatars. There were these nice looking moderator tags when the new site launched.

Things I would like to have:

1. A tag list (like in the Symphony backend) that shows all the forum categories (documentation, extension, XSLT…).

To be continued …

By the way - did I say that I really like the new website?

Is this an intended behaviour?

Negatory. Will find a way to fix that.

Australian time in comments, concerning both, the absolute times and the relative times

Understandable. We’ll see what we can come up with. Perhaps a time offset option in the member profiles?

A tag list (like in the Symphony backend) that shows all the forum categories (documentation, extension, XSLT…).

Interesting idea.

To be continued …

Oh oh. ;)

Funny thing: If you hit the search button without entering a term you’ll get a list of all forum entries related to “search” as result.

To be continued …

Oh oh. ;)

Ah, yes, here we go ;)

Things I don’t like visually:

• The standard Gravatar fallback icon for those not having a Gravatar.

Lewis, if the cookie names begin with __utm these are Google Analytics.

In that case, I only have one. I deleted all my cookies since Alistair made the change. Fingers crossed too.